WESTMINSTER, Md. – While there are no reported cases of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) at McDaniel College, the College has made the decision to move all on-campus, face-to-face undergraduate and graduate instruction to an online format for a two-week period following Spring Break (beginning March 23).
In light of this move, the Department of Athletics has announced that it will suspend all intercollegiate athletic competition, effective Monday, Mar. 16 through Sunday, Apr. 5.
All spring sports programs, including baseball, softball, men's and women's lacrosse, outdoor track and field, tennis and golf, are affected by this, including those teams who were scheduled to take spring break trips.
Because this is a dynamic and ever-changing situation, McDaniel will continue to monitor and plan responses in consultation with the NCAA, Centennial Conference and local health authorities. Continue to check McDanielAthletics.com for the latest updates.
Over the next week, that specifically means (this schedule is accurate as of 11 a.m. on 3/13):
- Saturday's home men's lacrosse game against St. Mary's (Md.) will still be played at 2 p.m. at Gill Stadium. The team will not compete at Chatham on Monday.
- Baseball will travel to Marymount on Saturday for its doubleheader at 12 p.m. but will not play its eight-game schedule in Winter Haven, Fla.
- Women's lacrosse has had its entire trip to the Roanoke Valley cancelled. Saturday's game at Bridgewater will no longer be played as part of the ODAC suspending all competition. Tuesday's game at Roanoke remains cancelled.
- Softball will not compete in its planned 10-game trip to Clermont, Fla.
- Men's and women's tennis will not compete in Hilton Head, S.C.
- All other scheduled games and events between Mar. 23 and Apr. 5 have been postponed with announcements to come about any possible rescheduling. When competition resumes, the conference schedule will take priority over any possible rescheduling of any non-conference games.
The above schedule is subject to change as more information becomes available. For the most up-to-date information on all schedules, please visit mcdanielathletics.com/composite or follow the official McDaniel Athletics Twitter account (@mcdanielsports).
We strongly encourage members of our community to continue to visit the College's COVID-19 (Coronavirus) web page for new information and campus updates.