This Week's Schedule
Tuesday, Oct. 19
Volleyball vs. Stevenson, 7:00
Women's Soccer at Elizabethtown, 7:00
Wednesday, Oct. 20
Men's Soccer vs. Gettysburg, 4:00
Saturday, Oct. 9
Volleyball vs. Ursinus, 12:00
Field Hockey vs. Ursinus, 1:00
Volleyball vs. Goucher, 4:00
Swimming at Franklin & Marshall w/Swarthmore and Ursinus, 1:00
Football at Susquehanna, 1:00
Men's Soccer at Washington (Md.), 7:00
Tuesday, Oct. 26
Men's Soccer at Juniata, 5:30
LAST TIME OUT: McDaniel capped a 3-0 sweep of Bryn Mawr with a 25-8 third-set win on Saturday.
• Anna Jezerski has led the Green Terror in kills in all 19 matches this season. The senior has had seven or more knockdowns in each match and her 15 double-digit outings are nearly three times the rest of the team.
• The Green Terror hit a season-best .375 in Saturday's 3-0 win over Bryn Mawr. As a team, McDaniel had just eight attacking errors in 88 swings while knocking down 41 kills. It was the third time this season that the Green Terror reached the 40-kill mark in a three-set affair.
• McDaniel is 4-4 in home matches this season with three home contests this week before closing the season with its final two matches on the road. All four of the home victories have come in three sets this season while only two of the four home losses have come in straight sets.
LAST TIME OUT: McDaniel scored twice in the second half to register its 12th shutout of the year and defeat Haverford 2-0 on Saturday.
• McDaniel moved into the seventh spot in last week's United Soccer Coaches' poll and remained second in the coaches' regional poll. The Green Terror will wait to see how the one-goal overtime loss to the No. 2 team will affect its standing. However, McDaniel will be really looking forward to Wednesday afternoon when the NCAA regional rankings come out for the first time this season. It is those rankings that matter most when it comes to championship tournament selections in November.
• The Green Terror's last 13 goals this season have come after halftime in games. The last time McDaniel found the back of the net in the first 45 minutes was a Maddie Schwartz tally in the eighth minute at Bryn Mawr on Sept. 25. The Green Terror scored nine times in the first half of games through the first eight games of 2021 and only five times after halftime in the first seven games.
LAST TIME OUT: Haverford edged McDaniel 1-0 in a defensive struggle on Saturday.
• Five of the Green Terror's last six games have been decided by one goal or fewer. McDaniel has dropped two 1-0 games in that stretch and had another scoreless deadlock. The Green Terror is playing the lowest scoring games in the Centennial Conference this season on average. While the defense has posted a 1.06 goals-against average, the offense has been able to generate just 0.83 goals per game, meaning McDaniel games have averaged fewer than two goals per contest. Only twice in 12 games this season has a team scored three goals. The next lowest combined scoring comes from Haverford at 2.18 total goals per game. Conversely, this week's midweek opponent Gettysburg is playing the highest scoring games in the conference (3.81 total goals per game), averaging 2.62 per game and allowing 1.19 per contest.
• McDaniel may be happy that two of its final four games are on the road. The Green Terror has not fared well at home, going just 1-5 to this point. However, away from home, McDaniel has posted a 3-2-1 mark. In fact, three of the four times the Green Terror has found the back of the net multiple times in the same game, it has come on the road.
LAST TIME OUT: Bryn Mawr scored in the second and third quarters to top McDaniel 2-0 on Saturday.
• The Green Terror's October schedule has been quite difficult. The final six teams on the schedule are all above .500 on the year and three of those six are or have been ranked in the top 20 at some point this season. McDaniel does get a rest midweek before the final stretch run with no midweek contest. It is the first time all season that the Green Terror has not had a midweek contest.
• Mikayla Smith leads the conference with 88 saves this season – 25 more than any other goalkeeper in the conference. However, it hasn't been just the sophomore keeper doing work on the defensive end. She has three defenders alongside her who are in the top eight in the CC in defensive saves. Amy Richenderfer is currently third with four d-saves while Morgan Collins is fourth with three stops. Emma Purcell is tied for eighth with two.
LAST TIME OUT: McDaniel competed at the Centennial Conference Championship hosted by Gettysburg on Feb. 20-23, 2020.
• It has been 608 days since the Green Terror has jumped in the pool for a competitive outing. The season opens with a new format for conference duals this season. Half of the conference heads to Gettysburg for a quad meet while the other half heads to Franklin & Marshall, including McDaniel. The Green Terror will swim duals against the Diplomats, Ursinus, and Swarthmore all at once. There will then be four dual-meet dates against the other teams on four separate dates between next weekend and the conference championship.
• Zach Askounes and Thomas Fagiolo return to anchor the men's team after qualifying for finals at the 2020 Centennial Conference championship meet. On the women's side, Ella Tomkins and Hannah Cehelsky are back after finals appearances in 2020 to lead the way.