McDaniel (1-0) 13, Penn State-Berks (0-1) 2 (Game 1)
McDaniel (2-0) 3, Penn State-Berks (0-2) 2 (Game 2)
What: Non-conference baseball doubleheader
When: Saturday, Feb. 22
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel plated eight runs in the fifth inning of game one to break open a 4-1 game en route to a 13-2 victory before needing to score twice in the bottom of the sixth of the nightcap to finish off a sweep of Penn State-Berks with a 3-2 victory.
• T.J. McGuire (Blue Point, N.Y./Bayport-Blue Point) led the offense for the Green Terror with five hits on the afternoon. He was 3-for-4 with two RBIs and three runs scored in game one before going 2-for-3 in game two.
• Joey Hubinger (West Milford, N.J./West Milford was 3-for-4 with four RBIs in his collegiate debut.
• Freshman Ryan Martino (Brooklyn, N.Y./Millennium Brooklyn) went six innings on the hill with four strikeouts and allowed one unearned run for a victory in his first collegiate start.
FOR THE FOES
• Dante Salerno led the Lions with three hits and two runs scored in the twinbill.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Mason Pennypacker poked a one-out single up the middle in the top of the first in the opener. He then stole second and took third on a throwing error before scoring on a first-third play for a 1-0 lead.
• With one out in the bottom of the second, Naquan Holden (Brooklyn, N.Y./Perkiomen School) reached on a throwing error before Kyle Petak (Manassas Park, Va./Manassas Park) was hit by a pitch. A T.J. McGuire single to the gap scored Holden to tie the game before Joey Hubinger laced a double in his first collegiate at bat for a 3-1 lead.
• A two-out throwing error allowed McGuire to reach in the fourth. He then stole second and scored on a Hubinger single for a 4-1 advantage.
• The Green Terror sent 14 batters to the plate in the fifth. Isaiah Ishmail (Cherry Hill, N.J.) led off the frame with an infield single before scoring on a Julian Jenkins (Tempe, Ariz./Desert Vista) double. Will Strauss (Freeport, N.Y./Waldorf) followed with an RBI single before Tom Daly (Haddon Heights, N.J./Haddon Heights) was hit by a pitch. Back-to-back fielder's choices stretched the lead to 7-1 before a fielding error and second Ishmail single in the inning opened the gates for the eight-run frame and 12-1 lead.
• Jarod Pezzano (Stevensville, Md./Kent Island) drew a walk to lead off the sixth before a fielder's choice, wild pitch, McGuire double and error on a two-out strikeout made it a 13-1 game.
• A Bryce Stout triple and Colin Maloney RBI groundout scored one more run for the Lions in the seventh.
• In game two, Jenkins led off the home first with a triple and scored on a Strauss sacrifice fly for a 1-0 lead.
• Penn State-Berks drew even in the third. Salerno and Pennypacker put together back-to-back singles to lead off the inning before a one-out Stout single tied the game.
• Salerno singled to lead off the fifth and scored on a Pennypacker double for a 2-1 advantage.
• Jack Slater (Hebron, Conn./Rham) started the bottom of the sixth with a single down the line before giving way to Jerald Hurt (Arbutus, Md./Lansdowne) as a pinch runner. After a muffed throw put Hurt at second, Holden tripled to tie the game then scored on a McGuire one-out single up the middle.
• The Lions loaded the bases with one out in the seventh but Jordan Rhodes (Fawn Grove, Pa./McDonogh [Md.]) got back-to-back strikeouts to pick up the win.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Jordan Rhodes fanned four in 1 2/3 innings in game two for the win.
• Jack Vener (Easton, Md./St. Michael's) went 3 2/3 innings on the mound in his debut with three strikeouts.
• Isaiah Ismail had two hits in the opener.
• Will Strauss had a pair of RBIs in game one.
McDaniel returns to action at home against New Jersey City on Sunday. Game time is 12 p.m.