McDaniel (1-6, 1-6 CC) 9, Franklin & Marshall (5-2, 5-2 CC) 2 (Game 1)
Franklin & Marshall (6-2, 6-2 CC) 3, McDaniel (1-7, 1-7 CC) 1 (Game 2)
What: Centennial Conference (CC) baseball doubleheader
When: Saturday, Apr. 10
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel got a solid pitching performance in game one before Franklin & Marshall countered with the same in game two for a split. The Green Terror took the opener 9-2 before the Diplomats took the nightcap, 3-1.
• Jack Vener (Easton, Md./St. Michael's) led the Green Terror in the opener, scattering six hits and fanning a career-high 11 batters in eight innings of work.
• Billy Wheatley (Galloway, N.J./Absegami) led the offense with five hits on the day, including a 4-for-4 game one.
FOR THE FOES
• Kyle Roche led the Diplomats in game two, fanning 11 batters and walking two in seven innings on the hill.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• In game one, Joey Hubinger (West Milford, N.J./West Milford) led off the second inning with a single before stealing second, moving to third on a balk, and scoring on a Julian Jenkins (Tempe, Ariz./Desert Vista) groundout for a 1-0 lead.
• Hubinger led off the fourth with another single before an Evan Scala (Whiting, N.J./Manchester Twp.) walk. Tyler Yohn (Dillsburg, Pa./Northern York) singled to left with one out to plate Hubinger for a 2-0 lead. After an Austin Goudeaux (Elkton, Md./Bohemia Manor) single loaded the bases, Billy Wheatley roped a two-run single to make it a 4-0 game.
• Will Samuel singled with two outs in the top of the sixth before scoring on a J.J. Freeman double to get Franklin & Marshall on the board.
• Jenkins led off the sixth with a double before a Yohn infield single put runners at the corners. A one-out Wheatley double scored Jenkins before four straight two-walks stretched the lead to 8-1.
• Goudeaux, who walked with one out in the seventh, scored on a T.J. McGuire (Blue Point, N.Y./Bayport-Blue Point) sacrifice fly.
• Matthew Kann singled and scored for the final margin in the ninth.
• Freeman drew a leadoff walk in the fourth inning of game two before moving to second on a wild pitch and scoring on a Don DiLoreto single for a 1-0 lead.
• Four walks and Kann single in the seven led to two more runs for a 3-0 lead.
• Hubinger, Jack Bayne (Lutherville, Md./Towson) and Yohn each singled in the eighth to break up the shutout.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Jack Vener's 11 strikeouts were the most by a Green Terror pitcher since 2018.
• In addition to Billy Wheatley's 4-for-4 opener, Joey Hubinger added a 3-for-3 day and Tyler Yohn went 3-for-4.
McDaniel returns to action in a doubleheader at Muhlenberg on Saturday. The first game of the doubleheader begins at 12 p.m.