Ursinus (5-7, 5-6 CC) 9, McDaniel (3-10, 3-10 CC) 6 (Game 1)
Ursinus (6-7, 6-6 CC) 6, McDaniel (3-11, 3-11 CC) 2 (Game 2)
What: Centennial Conference (CC) baseball doubleheader
When: Saturday, May 1
Where: Collegeville, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
Ursinus scored late in both games to secure a doubleheader sweep of McDaniel. The Bears took game one 9-6 before completing the sweep, 6-2.
• Joey Hubinger (West Milford, N.J./West Milford) led the offense in the twinbill with four hits on the day, recording a pair of hits in each game.
• Billy Wheatley (Galloway, N.J./Absegami) went 3-for-4 in game two.
FOR THE FOES
• Nolan Graber went the distance on the mound in game two, striking out 10 batters with four walks. He scattered eight hits and allowed two earned runs.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Colby Chan singled up the middle to lead off the home second in game one before moving to second on a sacrifice and scoring on a two-out single from Dan Icaza for a 1-0 lead.
• Singles from Tyler Perry (Woodbridge, Va./Gar-Field) and Joey Hubinger around an error tied the game in the top of the third. A two-out Connor Uhrig (Sinking Spring, Pa./Wilson) RBI groundout put the Green Terror in front, 2-1.
• Austin Goudeaux (Elkton, Md./Bohemia Manor) led off the fourth with a double and scored on a one-out Spencer Piercey (Glen Mills, Pa./Bayard Rustin) single down the line.
• A Jerry Scavone double, walk, sacrifice bunt, wild pitch and walk made it a 3-2 game in the bottom of the inning.
• A pair of errors in the bottom of the fifth opened the gates for a four-run frame that put the hosts in front 6-3.
• Singles from Uhrig and T.J. McGuire (Blue Point, N.Y./Bayport-Blue Point) coupled with a pair of walks and an RBI groundout closed the deficit to 6-5 in the top of the seventh.
• A one-out error opened the doors to three more unearned runs in the home eighth. Scavone executed a squeeze play and Eric Gross had a triple for the big hit of the inning.
• Goudeaux singled to lead off the ninth before a Jake Smith (Washington, N.J./Warren Hills Regional) single, groundout and Perry sacrifice fly set the final margin.
• A Goudeaux single and Perry two-out double in the fourth broke up a scoreless deadlock in game two.
• Scavone and Will Peiffer led off the home sixth with back-to-back singles before an error and Gross single turned the one-run deficit into a 2-1 lead.
• Tyler Yohn (Dillsburg, Pa./Northern York) doubled with one out in the seventh then scored on a Billy Wheatley two-out single up the middle to tie the game.
• Doubles from Icaza and Scavone around a sacrifice by Solomon Griffith broke the deadlock. After a Peiffer walk, Tom Jacobs doubled in two for a 5-3 lead. He later scored on a Tim Pyne double for the final margin.
THE INSIDE STORY
• The first three Green Terror pitchers of the day combined to strikeout 18 Ursinus batters in 14 innings.
• Ursinus pitching recorded 19 strikeouts in the totality of the two games.
• Connor Uhrig had three hits in game one while Austin Goudeaux, Jake Smith, and Tyler Perry had two hits each. McDaniel outhit the Bears 13-10 in game one but had five errors that led to six unearned runs.