Muhlenberg (16-20, 5-12 CC) 4, McDaniel (19-20, 4-13 CC) 3 (11 inn.) (Game 1)
McDaniel (20-20, 5-13 CC) 6, Muhlenberg (16-21, 5-13 CC) 5 (Game 2)
What: Centennial Conference (CC) baseball doubleheader
When: Saturday, Apr. 30
Where: Westminster, Md.
Muhlenberg scored in the top of the 11th inning for a 4-3 game-one win before McDaniel responded with two in the eighth inning of game two to forge a split on the final day of the regular season.
• Jarod Pezzano (Stevensville, Md./Kent Island) led the Green Terror with three hits and an RBI in the second game.
FOR THE FOES
• Ryan Herbert led the Mules with three hits and two RBIs in game one.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• In the opener, Austin Goudeaux (Elkton, Md./Bohemia Manor) doubled with one out in the fourth before an error and Jack Bayne (Lutherville, Md./Towson) sacrifice fly staked McDaniel to a 1-0 lead.
• Three singles, including a two-run knock by Ryan Herbert, accounting for three Muhlenberg runs in the sixth and a 3-1 lead.
• Tyler Yohn (Dillsburg, Md./Northern) and Goudeaux singled around a strikeout in the bottom of the inning before a two-out single from Bayne tied the game at 3-all.
• Both teams had opportunities the rest of the way but it was not until a two-out walk to Nick Whelan that either team could capitalize. After a wild pitch, Christian Schwarz came through with a run-scoring single for the Mules and a 4-3 edge that held up for the game-one win.
• In game two, the Green Terror jumped out to a 1-0 lead on a Shane Daly (Haddon Heights, N.J./Haddon Heights) leadoff triple and one-out Joey Hubinger (West Milford, N.J./West Milford) RBI groundout.
• Danny Monzo led off the second with a double before a two-out walk to Thomas Rodgers and Aidan Legner double put Muhlenberg in front, 2-1. Nick Belli followed with a single of his own for a 3-1 lead.
• Three straight one-out singels by Goudeaux, Jake Smith (Washington, N.J./Warren Hills), and Bayne loaded the bases in the third. T.J. McGuire (Blue Point, N.Y./Bayport-Blue Point) was hit by a pitch to force in Goudeaux before a Connor Uhrig (Sinking Spring, Pa./Wilson) double scored Smith and Bayne for a 4-3 lead.
• Four walks in the fifth led to two runs and a 5-4 Mule edge.
• After Bayne drew a leadoff walk in the bottom of the eighth, the throw said wild on McGuire's ensuing sacrifice attempt to put runners at the corners. A one-out Jarod Pezzano single scored Bayne to tie the game before a Daly sacrifice fly gave the Green Terror a one-run lead. Connor Schnable (Sellersville, Pa./Dock Mennonite Academy) worked around a pair of baserunners in the top of the ninth for his first win of the year.
THE INSIDE STORY
• McDaniel finished .500 in Jim Carone's first season at the helm. It was the first .500 since 2016.
• Joey Hubinger and Austin Goudeaux had two hits each in game one.
• Shane Daly had two hits in game two to tie the program record for hits in a season with 67. His record-tying hit came on a single in the sixth inning. He also recorded his 11th triple of the year in the first innings, which is the second most in conference history.