Becker (2-1) 56, McDaniel (0-1) 53
What: Centennial Conference (CC) men's basketball game
When: Friday, Nov. 15
Where: Owings Mills, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Becker overcame an eight-point deficit midway through the second half to defeat McDaniel 56-53 in the opening game of the Buffalo Wild Wings Classic hosted by Stevenson.
FOR THE FOES
• Mekhi Chester led the Hawks with 16 points.
• Jamir Carr chipped in 14.
• Mateus Ribeiro added 12 points, seven rebounds and four assists.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• An exchange of 3-pointers early kept the lead between one and four points through the first six-and-a-half minutes before a Josh Sproul triple gave McDaniel an 11-9 edge with 13:10 showing. Jamir Carr responded with a layup for Becker but Mike Wallace (Wilmington, Del./Salesianum) hit the fourth Green Terror 3-pointer of the game for a 14-11 lead. Trailing 23-22, Caleb Johnson hit a 3-pointer and Wallace canned two in the final 1:14 for a 31-24 lead at the break.
• A Carr triple and Mateus Ribeiro layup sliced the deficit to two in the first 1:39 of the second half. McDaniel pushed the lead back out to 42-35 on a Johnson three-point play with 13:48 showing. A Sproul triple made it a 45-37 game with 10:21 to play but Mekhi Chester responded with a triple of his own to spark a 10-0 run that put the Hawks in front 47-45 just 3:29 later. Two Johnson free throws tied the game but Chester and Jordan Rose-Wheatley hit layups on back-to-back possessions for a four-point lead. McDaniel closed to within one twice in the final two minutes but a Carr layup with 1:03 to play set the final margin.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Nine of McDaniel's 18 made field goals were from behind the arc.
McDaniel returns to action against SUNY Maritime in the consolation game of the BWW Classic on Saturday. Game time is 2 p.m.