McDaniel (2-1) 60, Wilson (1-4) 58
What: Non-Conference men's basketball game
When: Tuesday, Nov. 19
Where: Chambersburg, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel closed the game on a 13-6 run, including two free throws with 3.9 seconds left, for a 60-58 victory at Wilson.
• Josh Sproul (Princess Anne, Md./Washington Academy) led the Green Terror with 18 points, including the go-ahead free throws, and eight rebounds.
• Caleb Johnson (Triangle, Va./Gar-Field) added a career-high 22 points to go with nine rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
• Rashaan Bean led the Phoenix with 18 points, 6 rebounds and five steals.
• Adrian Thomas and Zachary Powell chipped in 12 points each.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Rashaan Bean and Olamide Banjo hit back-to-back 3-pointers to start the game and stake Wilson to a 6-0 lead. Josh Sproul got McDaniel on the board with a triple of his own with 17:49 to play. After a Bean layup, Kaelen Kanealey (Rochester, N.Y./Irondequoit) drained a 3-pointer and Caleb Johnson canned a jumper to tie the game at 8-all with 15:43 showing. A 9-0 Phoenix run gave the hosts a 19-12 lead with 8:48 to play in the opening half. The lead grew to as large as 10 en route to a 34-26 Wilson advantage at the break.
• Mike Wallace (Wilmington, Del./Salesianum) and Sproul canned triples around a Powell 3-pointer to cut the deficit to 37-32 just 80 seconds into the second half. Trailing 47-40, Dragan Hornatko (Baltimore, Md./Glenelg Country Day School) and Johnson hit layups 29 seconds apart to cut the deficit to three with 11:03 remaining. Facing a 52-47 hole, Johnson hit a layup with 7:15 to play to make it a one-possession game. A Johnson free throw and Sproul triple gave the Green Terror a 53-52 edge with 4:25 remaining.
• A deadball technical gave Wallace one free throw, which he hit, before Kanealey hit a jumper for a 56-52 lead with 3:04 to play. A Johnson jumper stretched the lead as large as six before Banjo and Powell each drained treys to tie the game with 1:16 to play. McDaniel got a pair of offensive rebounds on the final possession, including having the advantage of the possession arrow, before Sproul was fouled well away from the basket with 3.9 seconds to play. He calmly sank both free thows and the Green Terror defense did not allow the Phoenix to get a look at the basket to secure the win.
McDaniel returns to action in the home opener against Christendom on Friday. Game time is 7:30 p.m.