McDaniel (4-4) 65, Elmira (0-7) 54
What: Non-Conference men's basketball game
When: Sunday, Dec. 15
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel built a 34-18 lead at halftime before staving off an Elmira rally to close the first semester with a 65-54 win.
• Caleb Johnson (Triangle, Va./Gar-Field) led the Green Terror with 18 points.
• Che Colbert (Glen Burnie, Md./Broadneck) established a career high with 12 points.
• Stephen Lang (Gaithersburg, Md./Poolesville) added a season-high 10 points.
FOR THE FOES
• Shawn Backus led the Soaring Eagles with 14 points and six rebounds.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Greg Scarborough (Halethorpe, Md./Lansdowne) opened the game with a 3-pointer on McDaniel's first possession. Back-to-back buckets from Quintel Clements gave Elmira a 4-3 edge before a Sam Beverly (Baltimore, Md./Baltimore City College) layup gave the hosts the lead for good with 17:29 to play. Holding a 9-6 lead, Dragan Hornatko (Baltimore, Md./Glenelg Country Day School) canned a triple with 12:26 showing to spark an 8-0 run over the next 2:22. The Soaring Eagles closed to within seven twice but a Caleb Johnson jumper with 5:10 made it a 26-17 game and started a 10-1 run to the intermission.
• Josh Sproul (Princess Anne, Md./Washington Academy) hit the second of two free throws with 14:31 on the clock for the Green Terror's largest lead at 40-22. Kyle McCreery, however, converted off a Shawn Backus steal 38 seconds later to ignite a 15-5 run over the next six minutes that trimmed the margin to eight. Sam Beverly responded with a layup to halt a 7-minute, 36-second stretch without a field goal to push the lead back to 10 with 7:27 remaining. Elmira could get no closer the rest of the way with the lead fluttering between nine and 13 points over the final seven minutes.
McDaniel returns to action against Vassar at the Lehman Coaches vs. Cancer Tournament on Saturday, Dec. 28. Game time is 6 p.m.