Franklin & Marshall (6-6, 2-3 CC) 63, McDaniel (4-8, 0-5 CC) 50
What: Centennial Conference (CC) men's basketball game
When: Thursday, Jan. 9
Where: Lancaster, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
Franklin & Marshall went on a 23-3 run that spanned both halves to turn a four-point edge late in the first half into a 24-point lead five minutes into the second half en route to a 63-50 win over McDaniel.
• Che Colbert (Glen Burnie, Md./Broadneck) led the Green Terror with a career-high 17 points.
FOR THE FOES
• Justin Kupa led the Diplomats with 21 points.
• Ignas Slyka added 13 points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• After a back-and-forth start to the game, Justin Kupa drained a 3-pointer with 16:00 showing in the first half for a 7-6 edge that started a 7-0 run over the next 4:31. Trailing 15-10 with 8:39 remaining, Mike Wallace and Josh Arruda (Morrisville, Pa./Pennsbury) each hit 3-pointers to put McDaniel back in front 16-15 a minute later. Franklin & Marshall pushed the lead back out to seven before a Caleb Johnson (Triangle, Va./Gar-Field) converted a three-point play to trim the deficit to 25-21 with 3:40 on the clock. The Diplomats, however, hit 5 of 6 free throws in the final 2:47 to stretch the advantage to 30-21 at the break.
• Ignas Slyka hit a layup to open the second half before Wallace drained a 3-pointer with 19:04 on the clock. Kupa, however, responded with a triple of his own to spark a 16-0 run. A Caleb Johnson free throw with 14:43 showing halted the scoreless run before a Dragan Hornatko (Baltimore, Md./Glenelg Country Day School) layup snapped a 5-minute, 20-second stretch without a field goal. After a Bo Williams 3-pointer, Che Colbert converted a three-point play with 11:44 on the clock to spark a 13-3 run, closing the margin to 54-40 with 6:00 to play. Colbert had seven of his points during that stretch. The margin remained between 13 and 17 points the rest of the way.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Che Colbert netted his second double-digit scoring performance of the season.
• Caleb Johnson also reached double figures for the Green Terror with 11 points.
• Josh Arruda finished with nine points, five rebounds, four assists and five steals.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Muhlenberg on Saturday. Game time is 3 p.m.