Muhlenberg (10-3, 3-3 CC) 75, McDaniel (4-9, 0-6 CC) 67
What: Centennial Conference (CC) men's basketball game
When: Saturday, Jan. 11
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Muhlenberg methodically built a 15-point lead before staving off one final McDaniel push to capture a 75-67 victory.
FOR THE FOES
• Justin Allen led the Mules with 20 points.
• Matt Gnias added 15 points, including hitting 11 of 12 free throws, to go with six assists and three steals.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• After three ties in the first 6:48 of the game, Dallas Hoffman made a layup and Matt Gnias hit two free throws to open up a four-point lead with 12:28 on the clock. Mike Wallace responded with a triple to cut the margin to one. Clinging to a 26-24 edge after a Wallace jumper with 5:52 remaining, the Mules scored 13 of the final 15 points in the half to open up a 37-28 lead.
• Five straight points from Josh Arruda (Morrisville, Pa./Pennsbury) to start the second half cut the margin to four with 18:14 showing but Justin Allen responded with five straight points of his own to push the lead back to nine 90 seconds later. A Noah Watson layup made it 47-38 with 12:11 remaining and sparked a 6-0 burst that stretched the lead to 13 just over two minutes later. Trailing 63-48, Dragan Hornatko hit a 3-pointer just before the shot clock expired and Greg Scarborough (Halethorpe, Md./Lansdowne) added five straight points to quickly trim the deficit to seven with 3:07 showing. However, that's as close as McDaniel to get. Muhlenberg held a lead of between seven and 10 points over the final three minutes.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Dragan Hornatko reached double figures for the first time in his career.
McDaniel returns to action at Washington (Md.) on Wednesday. Game time is 6 p.m.