#1 Swarthmore (17-0, 10-0 CC) 80, McDaniel (5-12, 1-9 CC) 44
What: Centennial Conference (CC) men's basketball game
When: Saturday, Jan. 25
Where: Swarthmore, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
Swarthmore, the top-ranked team in the latest D3hoops.com poll, scored the final nine points of the first half and carried that momentum into the second half for an 80-44 win over McDaniel.
FOR THE FOES
• George Visconti led the Garnet with 19 points to go with four rebounds and four assists.
• Colin Shaw added 13 points while Nate Shafer had 12 points and six rebounds.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Behind five points from Vinny Deangelo and four from Zac O'Dell, Swarthmore jumped out to a 9-4 lead in the first 4:03 of the game. McDaniel, however, responded with six straight to take a 10-9 edge with 11:08 on the clock. Trailing 15-14, Che Colbert canned a triple and Kaelen Kanealy (Rochester, N.Y./Irondequoit) added a jumper for a 19-15 advantage with 5:32 remaining. After George Visconti and Josh Sproul (Princess Anne, Md./Washington Academy) traded jumpers, a Colin Shaw three-point play with 1:52 remaining sparked the half-closing 9-0 run that turned the four-point deficit into a five-point lead at the break. Visconti had the final six points, including a four-point play.
• The run extended to 17-0 through the first 2:21 of the second half for a 34-21 lead. Josh Arruda broke the drought with a layup at the 17:20 mark but that's as close as the Green Terror would be the rest of the way.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Swarthmore outscored McDaniel 63-23 over the final 21:52. The Garnet shot 65.5 percent in the second half.
McDaniel returns to action at No. 15 Johns Hopkins on Wednesday. Game time is 8 p.m.