#14 Johns Hopkins (16-2, 10-1 CC) 80, McDaniel (5-13, 1-10 CC) 44
What: Centennial Conference (CC) men's basketball game
When: Wednesday, Jan. 29
Where: Baltimore, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Johns Hopkins, ranked 14th in the latest D3hoops.com poll, used a 6-0 run late in the first half to open up a 20-point lead before holding McDaniel at bay in the second half for a 76-60 win.
FOR THE FOES
• Harry O'Neill led the Blue Jays with 14 points and six rebounds.
• Tom Quarry also added 14 points to go with four rebounds.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• An Ethan Bartlett 3-pointer staked Johns Hopkins to a 7-2 lead just 2:22 into the game. Holding a 10-6 advantage, Harry O'Neill canned a pair of free throws to start a 12-4 run that Ethan Bartlett put the exclamation point on with a steal-and-dunk for a 22-10 lead with 12:11 to play. A Mike Wallace 3-pointer and Che Colbert jumper closed the deficit to seven a minute later. A late 6-0 run stretched the advantage as large as 41-21 with 1:43 to play but five points from Colbert closed the margin to 15 at the break.
• Wallace and Kaelen Kanealey (Rochester, N.Y./Irondequoit) each scored a basket in the first 1:52 of the second half to close the deficit to 11. Trailing 45-30, two Caleb Johnson (Triangle, Va./Gar-Field) free throws and a Wallace three-point play made it a 10-point game with 15:23 remaining. Six straight points from Tom Quarry turned a 47-37 lead into a 53-37 advantage with 11:49 on the clock. A Wallace driving layup trimmed the margin to 59-49 with 7:20 to play but Joey Kern came right back down the floor and drained a triple from the top of the key and McDaniel got no closer the rest of the way.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Mike Wallace reached the 20-point mark for the third time this season.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Ursinus on Saturday. Game time is 2 p.m.