Ursinus (10-9, 5-7 CC) 69, McDaniel (5-14, 1-11 CC) 51
What: Centennial Conference (CC) men's basketball game
When: Saturday, Feb. 1
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Ursinus put together a 12-0 run late in the first half to open up a double-digit lead en route to a 69-51 win over McDaniel.
• Dragan Hornatko (Baltimore, Md./Glenelg Country Day School) led the Green Terror with 17 points.
FOR THE FOES
• Ryan McTamney led the Bears with 20 points and 10 rebounds.
• Ryan Hughes added 14 points.
• George Gordon chipped in 10 points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Baskets from Caleb Johnson (Triangle, Va./Gar-Field) and Josh Sproul (Princess Anne, Md./Washington Academy) staked McDaniel to a 4-0 lead in the first 1:10 of the game. Back-to-back baskets from Ryan Hughes gave Ursinus an 8-67 edge with 16:05 on the clock. Ryan McTamney stretched the lead as large as 19-11 with 12:04 showing. Dragan Hornatko responded with a triple before six straight Bear points pushed the advantage to 11 with 9:16 remaining. Hornatko once against responded with a 3-pointer to spark a 13-0 run for a 27-25 edge just shy of five minutes later. Lucas Olshevski hit a layup to tie the game with 4:19 remaining to spark a 12-0 run that gave the visitors a double-digit lead en route to a 39-31 lead at the break.
• Neither team scored for the first 3:37 of the second half before a Hornatko trey trimmed the deficit to five. Holding onto a 50-42 advantage, George Gordon hit a layup with 10:17 remaining to start an 11-0 run to extend the lead to 19 just 3:18 later. The Green Terror netted the next five points but they could get no closer the rest of the way.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Dragan Hornatko's 17 points were a career high for the sophomore.
• Ursinus shot 65.2 percent in the first half and 56.5 percent for the game.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Franklin & Marshall on Thursday. Game time is 8 p.m.