No. 1 Swarthmore (25-0, 18-0 CC) 79, McDaniel (6-19, 2-16 CC) 42
What: Centennial Conference (CC) men's basketball game
When: Saturday, Feb. 22
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Swarthmore, the No. 1 team in the latest D3hoops.com poll, hit its first six shots of the game to build a 16-2 lead just 3:38 into the game en route to a 79-42 win over McDaniel.
• Dragan Hornatko (Baltimore, Md./Glenelg Country Day School) led the Green Terror with 11 points.
• Seniors Sam Beverly (Baltimore, Md./Baltimore City College) and Caleb Johnson (Triangle, Va./Gar-Field) each had eight points in their final collegiate games.
FOR THE FOES
• George Visconti went 7-for-7 from the floor, including 4-for-4 from 3-point range, to lead the Garnet with 18 points.
• Conor Harkins added 15 points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• George Visconti hit a 3-pointer from the top of the arc just 13 seconds into the game then drained another one on the next Swarthmore possession 43 seconds later. Conor Harkins then pulled up on the break for a 9-0 lead just 1:16 into the game. Josh Sproul (Princess Anne, Md./Washington Academy) ended the drought to start the game with a 15-foot jumper before Harkins drained another 3-pointer and Zac O'Dell and Michael Caprise each hit layups for the 16-2 lead. Kaelen Kanealey (Rochester, N.Y./Irondequoit) hit a layup with 14:20 to play but the Garnet netted the next six points and McDaniel would get no closer the rest of the way.
• A Colin Shaw jumper with 7:10 to play in the first half opened up the first 20-point advantage of the game with a 28-7 lead before Dragan Hornatko responded with a 3-pointer. Three straight Swarthmore triples stretched the lead to 37-11 with 3:55 showing en route to a 44-16 lead at the break.
• A Harkins trey on the first Swarthmore possession of the second half made it a 30-point game for the first time. The Garnet lead swelled as large as 39 on a Justin Tucker 3-pointer that made it 72-33 with 5:12 remaining.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Swarthmore wrapped up the first 18-0 CC season since 2008.