No. 15 Ursinus (4-2, 4-2 CC) 17, McDaniel (0-6, 0-6 CC) 7
What: Centennial Conference (CC) men's lacrosse game
When: Saturday, May 1
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Ursinus, ranked 15th in the latest USILA Div. III coaches' poll, put together an 8-1 run to open up an 11-2 lead late in the second quarter en route to a 17-7 victory over McDaniel.
• Micah Brooks (Woolford, Md./Cambridge South Dorchester) led the Green Terror with a season-best four goals.
• Brighton Lorber (Lutherville, Md./Loyola Blakefield) made a career-high 26 saves in goal.
FOR THE FOES
• Tyler Neal led the Bears with three goals.
• Hakan Atillasoy added a goal and five assists.
• Erik Ojert chipped in two goals and three assists.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• A goal and assist from Erik Ojert helped stake Ursinus to a 3-0 lead in the game's first 6:08. Ojert finished a pass from Hakan Atillasoy with 13:41 showing before Rei Lopez won the ensuring faceoff and streaked right to goal to double the lead six seconds later. Ojert then found Tyler Neal for the 3-0 lead. John Lux (Cornwall, Pa./Cedar Crest) broke up the run before Ojert and Neal each found the back of the net in the final 4:22 of the first quarter for a 5-1 lead.
• Ben Goetz finished in a man-down situation off a pass from Ojert before Atillasoy found Tyler Falco and then finished from Ojert for an 8-1 lead with 8:53 to play in the second quarter. After a Dylan Vitale (Forked River, N.J./Lacey Twp.) unassisted tally, Aaron Grill found Joe Mercurio and Eddie Newman just over two minutes apart. Grill then returned the favor from Mercurio for an 11-2 lead with 2:34 showing. Dom Calderoni (Glen Cove, N.Y./North Shore) finished from Eric Manfredonia (Ramsey, N.J./St. Joseph Regional) just 28 seconds later but Neal pushed the lead back to nine in the final three seconds of the half.
• Micah Brooks and Tommy Reinhart traded man-up goals about a minute apart before two Chrstian Maienshein goals in the final 1:53 of the third quarter made it a 15-4 game after 45 minutes.
• After Patrick Coleman made quick work of another Lopez faceoff win to stretch the advantage to 12 just 13 seconds into the final period, Brooks scored twice in a 3-minute, 46-second stretch – the first unassisted and the second off a pass from Lux. T.J. Herron tallied with 1:07 to play before Brooks scored his third man-up goal of the half off a feed from Vitale with 18 ticks remaining.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Brighton Lorber's 26 saves were third most in program history in a single game.
• Ursinus finished with a 65-24 advantage in shots and 40-13 advantage in ground balls. The Bears also won 18 faceoffs.