Franklin & Marshall (11-14, 3-4 CC) 1, McDaniel (18-10, 5-4 CC) 0 – Game 1
McDaniel (19-10, 6-4 CC) 13, Franklin & Marshall (11-15, 3-5 CC) 5 – Game 2
What: Centennial Conference (CC) softball doubleheader
When: Saturday, Apr. 13
Where: Lancaster, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel exploded for eight runs over the first two innings of game two to forge a split at Franklin & Marshall. The Diplomats took the opener 1-0 before the Green Terror captured game two, 13-5.
• Madison Froemel (Suffolk, Va./Kings Fork) led the Green Terror with five hits on the day. She had a pair of hits in game one before tallying three, including her first collegiate home run, in game two. She also had two RBIs.
• Megan Horsey (Elkton, Md./Bohemia Manor) added four hits, rapping out a pair in each game.
FOR THE FOES
• Taylor Hudson was the only Diplomats player to record a hit in both games.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• In the opener, Taylor Hudson led off the bottom of the third with a double before stealing third. With one out, she scored on a Jamie Belfer RBI groundout to the right side.
• McDaniel had a chance to tie the game in the sixth inning but did not get the benefit of a possible obstruction call at the plate and instead had the final out recorded. The Green Terror also had the tying run at third in the seventh but could not get her in. McDaniel outhit Franklin & Marshall 6-3 in the game and had baserunners in six of the seven innings.
• In game two, Kristina Shank (Mardela Springs, Md./Mardela) led off the game with a single through the right side before scoring on a Michaela Persinger (Emmitsburg, Md./Catoctin) double. A Megan Coyle (Las Vegas, Nev./Bishop Gorman) single and three errors led to two more runs for a 3-0 lead.
• In the bottom of the inning, Sam Martin drew a walk before an error put two runners on. With two outs, Hannah Salvucci doubled to center to cut the deficit to 3-2.
• Haley Michael (Oldsmar, Fla./East Lake) led off the second with a single before a Kristina Shank two-run home run to right stretched the lead back to 5-2. With one out, Persinger, Coyle and Megan Horsey strung together singles to load the bases. An error allowed two runs to score before a Madison Froemel single up the middle pushed the advantage to 8-2.
• An error, Martin single and Abi Buell home run in the bottom of the third sliced the deficit to 8-5.
• A Shank single and two-out hit from Coyle put runners at the corners. Horsey followed with a double to push the lead to 9-5 in the fifth.
• With one out, Miranda Thompson (Columbia, Md./Atholton) and Michael each singled up the middle. A two-out error scored Thompson before a Persinger single and error scored two more runs for a 12-5 lead.
• A one-out Froemel home run to center in the seventh set the final margin.
THE INSIDE STORY
• The victory in game two was the 700th in program history for the Green Terror. McDaniel is 700-463-3 since the program was established in 1981 and becomes the second program in the Centennial Conference to hit the milestone.
• Kristina Shank, Michaela Persinger and Megan Coyle all had three hits in game two.
• Miranda Thompson and Haley Michael added two hits each in game two – part of a season-high 18-hit attack.
• Krista Waller (Virginia Beach, Va./Kellam) picked up the win with four innings of scoreless relief. She had two strikeouts.
McDaniel returns to action at Stevenson on Sunday. The first game begins at 1:30 p.m.