McDaniel (2-0) 65, Juniata (1-1) 57
What: Non-conference women's basketball game
When: Saturday, Nov. 16
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel built a 23-12 lead after one quarter en route to a 65-57 win over Juniata in the championship game of the 2019 McDaniel Tipoff Tournament.
• Mallory Conroy (Ellicott City, Md./Marriotts Ridge) led the Green Terror with 19 points and five rebounds to earn tournament MVP honors. She also had four steals.
FOR THE FOES
• Gracie Stauffer led the Eagles with 19 points and nine rebounds.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• After a back-and-forth start, Mallory Conroy hits a layup with 6:45 to play to break a 7-all deadlock and spark a 16-2 run. Four different Green Terror players scored during the stretch. Larissa Leonard canned a 3-pointer with a minute to play to make it 23-12 after 10 minutes.
• Six straight McDaniel points to start the second quarter pushed the lead to 17. Juniata closed to within 35-26 but a Meggie Burgess (Olney, Md./Good Counsel) elbow jumper made it an 11-point game at the intermission.
• The Eagles started the third quarter on a 9-2 run to close the margin to 39-35 with 8:02 showing but six straight Green Terror points pushed the lead back to double digits with 3:32 remaining. Natalie Mehl (Hamilton, N.J./Steinert) canned a 3-pointer at the end of the run.
• Clinging to a 49-42 lead after three quarters, Hannah Zajac (Houston, Texas/Clear Creek) drained a jumper to push the lead back to nine on the first possession of the fourth period.
• After a Grace Long 3-pointer, Jayce Klingenberg (Hampstead, Md./Manchester Valley) and Josey Klingenberg (Hampstead, Md./Manchester Valley) drained back-to-back jumpers for a 55-45 lead with 8:06 to play. The lead swelled back as large as 15 with 4:20 to play en route to the eight-point win.
McDaniel returns to action in the Centennial Conference opener at home against Gettysburg on Wednesday. Game time is 7:30 p.m.