York (Pa.) (3-3) 71, McDaniel (2-2) 64
What: Non-Conference women's basketball game
When: Saturday, Nov. 23
Where: York, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
York (Pa.) scored the final four points of regulation to force overtime then started the extra session on a 9-1 win to secure a 71-64 victory over McDaniel.
• Ellie Connelly (Sharpsburg, Md./Boonsboro) netted a career-high 12 points off the bench for the Green Terror.
• Anna Mondoro (Dumfries, Va./Homeschool) led the offense with 16 points.
• Mallory Conroy (Ellicott City, Md./Marriotts Ridge) chipped in 10 points, two assists and three steals.
FOR THE FOES
• Molly Day led the Spartans with 19 points and 10 rebounds.
• Kayla Ferris chipped in a double-double of her own with 10 points and 11 rebounds.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• An Alana Bortner 3-pointer gave the hosts an early 7-3 edge for the largest lead of the first quarter that featured two ties and six lead changes.
• Triples from Molly Day and Bradi Zumbrum on back-to-back possessions turned a tie game after 10 minutes into a 21-15 lead just 1:09 into the second quarter. The lead swelled to 26-17 on five straight points from Bortner. York led by as many as 12 in the period before Anna Mondoro canned a 3-pointer with 20 seconds remaining to cut the deficit to 35-26 at the intermission.
• Trailing 42-33 with 1:46 to play in the third quarter, Mondoro hit a jumper in the paint and Mallory Conroy chipped in baskets on consecutive possession before Mondoro beat the final horn to cut finish the period on an 8-0 run.
• Mondoro converted a three-point play a minute into the fourth quarter to cap an 11-0 run. McDaniel built a four-point lead four times over the remainder of the period before two Day hit two free throws and a layup in the final 41 seconds to tie the game at 60-all and force overtime.
• Two Savannah Wilson free throws just 18 seconds into overtime gave the Spartans the lead for good. Ellie Connelly hit the second of two free throws with 3:23 to play but four straight points from Day and three Bortner free throws stretched the lead to 696-1 with 34 seconds showing. The Green Terror closed to within 69-64 on an Emily Metzger (Shamong, N.J./Seneca) layup with 11 ticks remaining but two Bortner free throws sealed the win.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Johns Hopkins on Tuesday. Game time is 6 p.m.