Johns Hopkins (4-2, 2-0 CC) 51, McDaniel (2-3, 0-2 CC) 42
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Tuesday, Nov. 26
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Johns Hopkins limited McDaniel to four points in the third quarter to win a defensive battle, 51-42.
• Mallory Conroy (Ellicott City, Md./Marriotts Ridge) led the Green Terror with 12 points and six rebounds.
• Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic College) added seven points and 10 rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
• Diarra Oden led the Blue Jays with 20 points and eight rebounds.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Mallory Conroy hit a jumper two minutes into the game for a 2-0 lead. The first quarter featured a tie and seven lead changes until a 6-0 run late turned a 9-8 deficit into a 14-9 lead with 1:07 to play in the period. An Ellie Connelly (Sharpsboro, Md./Boonsboro) 3-pointer closed the deficit to 14-12 after one quarter.
• A Kenz Wilkinson jumper and Diarra Oden 3-pointer stretched the lead to 19-12 just 1:48 into the second period. An Emily Howie triple pushed the advantage to double digits for the first time at 24-14 with 6:40 showing. A Connelly triple in the waning seconds of the period made it a 27-22 game at the break.
• A Conroy layup on the opening possession of the third quarter trimmed the deficit to three but Johns Hopkins then held McDaniel off the scoreboard for the next more than eight minutes, stretching the lead to 34-24. A Conroy putback with 1:47 to play halted the cold stretch but Erin Walsh hit a jumper to stretch the lead back to 10 at the end of the quarter.
• A Maggie Wodicka 3-pointer on the first possession of the fourth quarter gave the Blue Jays their largest lead of the game at 39-29. The lead floated between eight and 11 points the rest of the way.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Natalie Mehl (Hamilton, N.J./Steinert) added eight points off the bench.
• Josey Klingenberg (Hampstead, Md./Manchester Valley) contributed six points, four rebounds and three assists.
McDaniel returns to action at Dickinson on Wednesday, Dec. 4. Game time is 6 p.m.