Dickinson (2-4, 2-1 CC) 61, McDaniel (2-4, 0-3 CC) 54
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Wednesday, Dec. 4
Where: Carlisle, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
Dickinson closed the third quarter on an 11-0 run to open up a double-digit advantage then staved off a late McDaniel rally to register a 61-54 victory.
• Natalie Mehl (Hamilton, N.J./Steinert) led the Green Terror with 15 points, including hitting four 3-pointers.
FOR THE FOES
• Emily Padalino led the Red Devils with a double-double, contributing 12 points and 10 rebounds.
• Maura Leverone netted 13 points to go with three assists.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Tied at 8-all, Natalie Mehl hit the second McDaniel 3-pointer of the first quarter for an 11-8 edge with 3:40 remaining in the period. Another Mehl triple and layups from Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic College) and Emily Metzger (Shamong, N.J./Seneca) helped McDaniel build a lead as large as eight en route to an 18-14 lead through 10 minutes.
• A Claudia Maria 3-pointer and Maura Leverone free throw drew Dickinson even nearly two minutes into the second quarter. The teams traded baskets until back-to-back Hannah Heiring buckets stretched the Red Devil lead to 26-22 with 3:02 to play in the half. A Hannah Zajac (Houston, Texas/Clear Creek) steal-and-layup in the waning seconds of the quarter closed the deficit to 29-27 at the intermission.
• Metzger tied the game 1:16 into the third quarter off a Jamese Word (Belmont, Mass./Lexington Christian Academy) steal-and-dish. The Red Devils built the lead back to six with 6:37 to play before McDaniel closed to within two twice in the next two minutes. A Kate Montgomery putback with 4:06 showing sparked an 11-0 run to end the quarter with a 48-35 lead.
• A Storer jumper on McDaniel's first possession of the fourth quarter snapped a nearly five-minute scoring drought. Trailing 57-43 on two Padalino free thrwos with 3:33 remaining, Mehl was fouled on a 3-point attempt and canned all three free-throw attempts. Padalino answered with a layup before two Mallory Conroy (Ellicott City, Md./Marriotts Ridge) free throws and a Jayce Klingenberg (Hampstead, Md./Manchester Valley) steal-and-layup spark an 8-0 run that trimmed the deficit to 59-54 with 1:34 remaining. Two Maura Leverone free throws in the final 20 seconds, however, were the only points in a final 90 seconds that featured four Dickinson turnovers.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Natalie Mehl recorded more than three 3-pointers for the third time in six collegiate games.
• McDaniel, which entered the game with just 72 free-throw attempts, went to the line 14 times and converted 11 of the attempts.
McDaniel returns to action at Ursinus on Saturday. Game time is 3 p.m.