Ursinus (5-3, 4-1 CC) 79, McDaniel (2-5, 0-4 CC) 64
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Saturday, Dec. 7
Where: Collegeville, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
Ursinus scored the final 10 points of the second quarter to open up a 17-point halftime lead en route to a 79-64 win over McDaniel.
• Mallory Conroy (Ellicott City, Md./Marriotts Ridge) led the Green Terror with 18 points and nine rebounds.
• Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic College) added 14 points.
FOR THE FOES
• Lydia Konstanzer paced the Bears with 27 points and nine rebounds.
• Aliyah Stephens also reached the 20-point mark with 21 points to go with seven rebounds and three steals.
• Maya Kornfeld chipped in 19 points and seven assists.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Lydia Konstanzer hit a jumper on the first possession of the game before Aliyah Stephens converted a three-point play for a 5-0 Ursinus lead just 46 seconds into the game. McDaniel closed to within two points on four occasions throughout the remainder of the period but each time the Bears immediately responded, stretching the lead back to six twice en route to a 25-20 lead after 10 minutes.
• An Anna Mondoro (Dumfries, Va./Homeschool) 3-pointer closed the deficit to two once again just 24 seconds into the second quarter. After Maya Kornfeld and Liv Storer traded layups, Kornfield hit a jumper in the paint to spark a 7-0 burst to stretch the lead to 36-27 with 6:44 on the clock. After an Ellie Connelly (Sharpsburg, Md./Boonsboro) 3-pointer made it a 39-32 game with 3:59 to play, Konstanzer responded with a three-point at the 3:03 mark to spark a 10-0 close to the period. Konstanzer had seven of the 10 points to help stretch the lead to 49-32.
• The third-quarter lead ballooned as large as 56-37 before a Storer jumper with 5:06 to play ignited an 8-0 burst over the next 1:53 to close the margin to 11. The Green Terror trimmed the deficit to 10 twice in the final minute but a Kornfield deep buzzer beater stretched the lead back to 64-51 after three quarters.
• Two Jayce Klingenberg (Hampstead, Md./Manchester Valley) free throws and a pair of Conroy layups in a 65-second stretch trimmed the deficit to 73-63 with 2:29 to play but Stephens responded with three straight points to keep McDaniel at bay.
THE INSIDE STORY
• McDaniel turned 23 offensive rebounds into 22 second-chance points. Both totals were season highs.
McDaniel returns to action at Stockton on Thursday, Jan. 2. Game time is 1 p.m.