Haverford (8-2, 5-0 CC) 54, McDaniel (3-6, 0-5 CC) 47 (OT)
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Saturday, Jan. 4
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Haverford overcame a nine-point deficit late the third quarter to force overtime before outscoring McDaniel 9-2 in the extra session for a 54-47 win.
• Mallory Conroy (Ellicott City, Md./Marriotts Ridge) established a career high with 21 points to go with four rebounds and four steals.
• Anna Mondoro (Dumfries, Va./Homeschool) added 15 points – 11 of which came after halftime.
FOR THE FOES
• Anna-Sophia Capizzi led the Fords with 19 points.
• Julianna Clark added 11 points and nine rebounds.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Anna-Sophia Capizzi hit a 3-pointer 70 seconds into the game to stake Haverford to an early lead. The Fords built the advantage as large as seven in the first period on a Raina Gully layup with 2:11 showing. Ellie Connelly (Sharpsburg, Md./Boonsboro) responded with a layup of her own to make it a 13-8 game at the end of 10 minutes.
• Five straight points to start the second quarter pushed the lead to 18-8 midway through the stanza. Mallory Conroy, however, responded with a three-point play with 3:57 on the clock to key a personal 9-0 run that closed the margin to one just 1:51 later. A single Megan Furch free throw momentarily halted the run but another Conroy jumper made it a 19-all score at the break to give the freshman all 11 of her team's points in the quarter.
• Conroy added the first six Green Terror points of the third period to give the squad its first lead of the game at 25-24 with 6:32 remaining. After a Hannah Zoll layup put Haverford back in front, Anna Mondoro drained a pair of triples around a Capizzi jumper for a 31-28 advantage 1 minute, 21 seconds later. Treys from Natalie Mehl (Hamilton, N.J./Steinert) and Mondoro stretched the lead to nine with 3:34 on the clock before a Capizzi jumper in the paint and Furch three-point play closed the deficit to 37-33 at the end of the quarter.
• A Julianna Clark 3-pointer closed the margin to one but a pair of Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic College) stretched the advantage back to 41-36 with 3:50 to play. Trailing 45-40 with 1:42 remaining, Capizzi hit a jumper and Clark hit a second-chance 3-pointer to tie the game. Capizzi had a would-be game-winning 3-pointer from the top of the arc that went in but it was ruled to have come after the horn at the end of regulation.
• Nyla Robinson hit a driving layup on the Fords' first possession of overtime before Jamese Word (Belmont, Mass./Lexington Christian Academy) responded with a jumper to tie the game for the final time. A Zoll jumper with 2:12 remaining put the visitors in front for good and Haverford canned five of its six free-throw attempts in the last 1:44 to secure the win.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Mallory Conroy scored 16 straight points for the Green Terror between the second and third quarters.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Ursinus on Tuesday. Game time is 7 p.m.