Ursinus (6-6, 5-2 CC) 61, McDaniel (3-7, 0-6 CC) 51
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Tuesday, Jan. 7
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Ursinus outscored McDaniel 21-7 in the fourth quarter to rally from a deficit as large as 13 and pick up a 61-51 road win.
• Anna Mondoro (Dumfries, Va./Homeschool) led the Green Terror with a season-high 23 points, including hitting five 3-pointers.
• Mallory Conroy (Ellicott City, Md./Marriotts Ridge) added 12 points.
• Ellie Connelly (Sharpsburg, Md./Boonsboro) led the way on the glass with eight rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
• Lydia Konstanzer led the Bears with 30 points and eight rebounds.
• Marisa Morano added 15 points and seven rebounds.
• Aliyah Stephens chipped in 12 points and six rebounds.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• The first five minutes of the game was back-and-forth with four ties. Trailing 8-6, Mallory Conroy and Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic College) hit jumpers on consecutive possessions to start an 8-1 run that opened up a 14-9 advantage with 2:23 remaining in the first quarter. An Anna Mondoro 3-pointer helped extend the advantage to 18-12 after 10 minutes.
• Mondoro and Emily Metzger (Shamong, N.J./Seneca) each hit baskets to push the lead to 10 just 1:58 into the second quarter. The second-quarter advantage remained between seven and 11 points throughout en route to a 37-27 halftime lead.
• A Mondoro triple on the opening possession of the third quarter made it a 13-point game before Konstanzer and Conroy traded buckets. Another Konstanzer short jumper and 3-pointer sparked an 11-0 run that trimmed the deficit to 42-40 with 2:28 to play in the quarter. Mondoro, however, drained a jumper in the waning seconds of the period to push the lead back to four.
• Another Mondoro 3-pointer to open the fourth quarter stretched the advantage to seven but seven straight points from Marisa Morano around a Conroy layup once again made it a two-point game with 6:06 remaining. Konstanzer hit the back end of two free throws and then drained a jumper with 4:42 to play for the Bears' first lead since the first quarter at 50-49. Storer responded with a basket 24 seconds later but a Morano 3-pointer in the corner put the visitors back in front and ignited an 11-0 close to the game.
THE INSIDE STORY
• With her first 3-pointer of the night – a shot from the top of the arc in the final minute of the first quarter – Anna Mondoro became the eighth Green Terror player to reach 100 career triples. She finished the night with 104.
• Ursinus went 16-for-33 from the free-throw line while McDaniel was just 6-for-8 from the stripe.
McDaniel returns to action at Franklin & Marshall on Thursday. Game time is 6 p.m.