Franklin & Marshall (5-8, 3-5 CC) 59, McDaniel (3-8, 0-7 CC) 50
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Thursday, Jan. 9
Where: Lancaster, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
Franklin & Marshall used a 16-7 third quarter to open up a double-digit advantage and led by as many as 16 points in a 59-50 win over McDaniel.
• Anna Mondoro (Dumfries, Va./Homeschool) led the Green Terror with 17 points and three assists.
• Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic College) chipped in 13 points, three assists and two steals.
FOR THE FOES
• Kenna Williams led the Diplomats with 18 points and 10 rebounds.
• Sarosha Parsons added 14 points.
• Emily Moran chipped in 12 points and three steals.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Anna Mondoro netted McDaniel's first seven points of the game to build a 7-3 advantage through the first 5:27. A Natalie Mehl (Hamilton, N.J./Steinert) hit a 3-pointer and Liv Storer converted a jumper to stretch the Green Terror lead to 14-8 with 1:38 to play in the first quarter but a pair of layups from Sarosha Parsons keyed a 6-0 close to draw the hosts even after one period.
• Parsons added the first four points of the second quarter before Kenna Williams converted two shots from the charity stripe. A Mondoro three-point play snapped a 5-minute, 31-second drought with 6:07 showing. Meggie Burgess (Olney, Md./Good Counsel) hit a jumper with 3:46 remaining to draw McDaniel even at 22-all but a Williams layup and Emily Moran 3-pointer pushed the lead back to five a minute later en route to a 31-28 advantage at the break.
• A Mondoro triple out of the locker room tied the game before Mallory Conroy (Ellicott City, Md./Marriotts Ridge) canned a jumper with 8:23 showing for a 33-31 lead. Franklin & Marshall, however, responded with nine straight and a 16-2 run over the remainder of the quarter to open up a 47-35 lead.
• The run extended to 20-2 before a Storer layup with 6:59 to play halted another 7-minute, 47-second stretch without a point. The Green Terror closed to within 53-43 on a Storer three-point play but got no closer until a Conroy bucket just before the final horn made it a nine-point final margin.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Anna Mondoro has scored 55 points in the last three games, reaching double figures in all three contests. She entered the stretch with 52 in the first eight games of the season.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Muhlenberg on Saturday. Game time is 1 p.m.