McDaniel (5-8, 2-7 CC) 57, Washington (Md.) (6-9, 3-7 CC) 42
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Wednesday, Jan. 15
Where: Chestertown, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel doubled up Washington (Md.) in the second half, outscoring its hosts 42-21 to overcome a six-point deficit at the break and win its second straight, 57-42.
• Anna Mondoro (Dumfries, Va./Homeschool) led the Green Terror with 14 points and five rebounds.
• Mallory Conroy (Ellicott City, Md./Marriotts Ridge) added 13 points and a team-best six rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
• Crystal Jones paced the Shorewomen with 10 points.
• Cassidy Quattro added eight points and nine rebounds.
• Emilee Cramer chipped in nine points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Anna Mondoro opened the game with a triple nearly two minutes into the contest before the next eight minutes featured three ties and seven lead changes en route to a 13-all draw after the first quarter.
• Behind baskets from three different Washington players, the hosts built a 19-13 advantage through the first 5:31 of the second quarter. Two Mondoro free throws with 3:32 on the clock were the only McDaniel points of the period before an Emilee Cramer layup with 1:40 showing made it a 21-15 game at the break.
• Trailing 25-20 midway through the third quarter, Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Austrailia/Galen Catholic College) hit the second of two free throws to ignite a 12-0 run. Washington was limited to one field goal and three free throws in the quarter. Four different Green Terror players scored during the run that turned a five-point deficit into a seven-point lead.
• A Crystal Jones 3-pointer 49 seconds into the fourth quarter snapped a 9-minute, 29-second drought from the floor and pulled Washington within 32-29. A Lizzie Hudock layup just over a minute later trimmed the margin to one. Clinging to a 39-38 edge, Mallory Conroy hit a jumper with 3:29 remaining and contributed six points to key a 12-1 run over the next 2:42 to push the lead to 12 and seal the win.
THE INSIDE STORY
• McDaniel shot just 3 of 19 (15.8 percent) in the first half before returning from the locker room and shooting 50 percent (12 of 24) in the second stanza.
• The Green Terror limited Washington to 5-for-25 (20 percent) shooting in the second half.
McDaniel returns to action at Bryn Mawr on Saturday. Game time is 1 p.m.