Dickinson (8-7, 6-4 CC) 62, McDaniel (6-9, 3-8 CC) 55
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Wednesday, Jan. 22
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Dickinson opened the fourth quarter on a 10-0 run to build a double-digit lead before holding on for a 62-55 win over McDaniel.
FOR THE FOES
• Emily Padalino led the Red Devils with 15 points and seven rebounds.
• Kate Deutsch added 14 points and eight rebounds.
• Jennifer Kremp rounded out a trio of double-digit scorers with 14 points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• After an Anna Mondoro 3-pointer and Josey Klingenberg (Hampstead, Md./Manchester Valley) jumper staked McDaniel to an early 5-2 advantage, Dickinson netted 11 of the next 13 points to build a 13-7 advantage in the final 90 seconds of the period. An Emily Metzger (Shamong, N.J./Seneca) 3-pointer and two Ellie Connelly (Sharpsburg, Md./Boonsboro) free throws trimmed the deficit to one at the end of the quarter.
• A Connelly jumper and Mondoro triple in the first 1:42 of the second quarter stretched the run to 10 straight points and a 17-13 Green Terror lead. The advantage swelled as large as six before run of eight straight points put McDaniel in front 30-26 with 47 seconds left. A Natalie Mehl (Hamilton, N.J./Steinert) three-point play made it a one-point game at the break.
• Emily Padalino hit a 3-pointer to stretch the lead back to four early in the third quarter. Dickinson's lead swelled as large as six in the quarter but four points from Conroy in a 30-second stretch tied the game at 44-all. Kate Deutsch hit a layup in the final 40 seconds to put the visitors back in front by two.
• The Red Devils carried that momentum into the fourth quarter, holding McDaniel without a point for the first 6:36 and a field goal for the first 7:41 of the period. Four points each from Deutsch and Padalono key the 10 straight points to start the quarter. Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic College) hit a jumper off a steal in the backcourt to close the deficit to 56-53 with 1:24 to play. Dickinson, however, converted 6 of 8 free throws in the final minute to secure the win.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Mallory Conroy recorded her second straight double-double and third of the season.
McDaniel returns to action at Swarthmore on Saturday. Game time is 1 p.m.