No. 22 Gettysburg (20-2, 16-1 CC) xx, McDaniel (9-13, 5-12 CC) xx
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Wednesday, Feb. 12
Where: Gettysburg, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
Gettysburg scored seven straight points early in the fourth quarter to open up a double-digit lead and maintained the edge to top McDaniel, 71-57.
• Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic College) led the Green Terror with 23 points.
FOR THE FOES
• Ashley Gehrin led the Bullets with 31 points. She also pulled down seven rebounds.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Keyed by a pair of Liv Storer jumpers, McDaniel jumped out to a 6-2 lead in the first 2:40 of the game. A 6-0 Gettysburg counter gave the hosts a 10-8 edge with 4:46 to play in the opening period. Natalie Mehl (Hamilton, N.J./Steinert) responded with a triple before the Bullets reeled off another 7-0 run to open up a 17-11 lead in the final minute. Hannah Zajac (Houston, Texas/Clear Creek) halted the run with an elbow jumper before Kiera Cesareo drained a 3-pointer for a 20-13 lead after 10 minutes.
• The Bullets started the second quarter on a 9-2 run, including the first six Gettysburg points from Meredith Brown, before Storer converted a three-point play with 4:58 showing to halt the run. That shot sparked an 11-0 run. The defense held the Bullets without a field goal for the final 5:19 of the period and just a single free throw with 10.2 seconds on the clock to close the margin to 30-26 at the break.
• Carly Rice hit a 3-pointer on the first possession of the second half to stretch the lead to seven. From there, however, McDaniel tallied 10 of the next 12 points to take a 36-35 edge. Mackenzie Tinner halted the run with a turnaround layup but Storer immediately responded for a one-point Green Terror edge. Two Ashley Gehrin triples around a pair of Emily Metzger (Shamong, N.J./Seneca) gave the hosts a 43-40 edge with 3:20 remaining before Rice drainer another 3-pointer to return the advantage to six. McDaniel closed to within four twice but two Christina Richson free throws with 16 ticks left made it a 52-46 game entering the final quarter.
• After a Josey Klingenberg (Hampstead, Md./Machester Valley) 3-pointer cut the deficit in half on the opening possession of the fourth quarter, the Bullets used five points from Gehrin and a Olivia Matto layup for a double-digit lead with 7:02 to play. The lead remained between eight and 12 points before the final Gehrin free throws with 22 seconds left.
THE INSIDE STORY
• After shooting 1-for-10 from 3-point range in the first half, Gettysburg hit 7 of 11 triples in the second half.
• The 23 points for Liv Storer were a season high, two shy of her career high.
• With the win, the Bullets remain in a tie for first place in the conference standings with three games to play.
McDaniel returns to action at Haverford on Saturday. Game time is 1 p.m.