Haverford (20-3, 17-1 CC) 63, McDaniel (9-14, 5-13 CC) 44
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Saturday, Feb. 15
Where: Gettysburg, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
Haverford scored the final seven points of the second quarter to open up a nine-point lead en route to a 63-44 win over McDaniel.
• Meggie Burgess (Olney, Md./Good Counsel) paced the Green Terror with eight points and six rebounds.
• Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic College) was the only McDaniel player in double figures with 14 points, adding five rebounds, two assists and two steals.
FOR THE FOES
• Anna-Sophia Capizzi led the Fords with 24 points and six rebounds.
• Megan Furch added 20 points and six rebounds.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• An Anna Mondoro (Dumfries, Va./Homeschool) 3-pointer and Liv Storer jumped staked McDaniel to a 5-0 lead in the first 2:42 of the game. However, Megan Furch responded with a jumper and Anna-Sophia Capizzi added a triple to tie the game just 53 seconds later. The teams continued to trade baskets over the remainder of the period with Juliana Clark's 3-pointer in the final 45 seconds giving the hosts a 16-14 edge.
• Josey Klingenberg (Hampstead, Md./Manchester Valley) tied the game with 8:37 to play in the second quarter before Hannah Zoll and Capizzi scored nearly three minutes apart for a 20-16 edge. Two Meggie Burgess free throws cut the deficit to two but five points from Capizzi keyed a 7-0 final 3:50 to the second quarter for a 27-18 lead at the break.
• The lead swelled to 14 in the first 69 seconds of the third quarter. McDaniel closed the margin to 37-29 on back-to-back Burgess layups before another 6-0 Fords run stretched the lead back to 14 with 2:04 remaining. An exchange of free throws in the final 1:15 of the quarter gave Haverford a 46-35 lead entering the final period.
• Behind six straight points from Furch, the Fords opened the fourth quarter on an 8-0 run to build a 54-35 advantage with 6:45 to play. Storer hit back-to-back buckets to cut the margin to 15 but that's as close as the Green Terror could get.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Meggie Burgess matched her career best with eight points and established a new career high with six rebounds.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Washington (Md.) on Wednesday. Game time is 6 p.m.