McDaniel (10-14, 6-13 CC) 68, Washington (Md.) (10-14, 7-12 CC) 48
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Wednesday, Feb. 19
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel used a 13-2 run in the second quarter to open up an 18-point lead en route and maintained a lead of no fewer than 13 points the rest of the way for a 68-48 win over Washington.
• Meggie Burgess (Olney, Md./Good Counsel) paced the Green Terror with 13 points off the bench, hitting three triples.
• Natalie Mehl (Hamilton, N.J./Steinert) added a game-high 15 points.
• Mallory Conroy (Ellicott City, Md./Marriotts Ridge) chipped in 11 points.
FOR THE FOES
• Caitlyn Clark led the Shorewomen with 14 points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• A Caitlyn Clark 3-pointer gave Washington a 7-4 lead nearly four minutes into the game. A Natalie Mehl jumper with 5:08 remaining sparked a 13-0 run. Mehl had five points in the run while Hannah Zajac (Houston, Texas/Clear Creek) added four. Back-to-back Crystal Jones triples closed the margin to 17-13 with 38 seconds left but Meggie Burgess canned a triple on the final possession for a seven-point lead.
• A Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic College) three-point play stretched the lead out to 26-15 with 7:12 to play in the second period. The deficit closed to 26-19 before two Mallory Conroy free throws and a Burgess 3-pointer sparked the game-changing run over a 3-minute, 12-second span. Lizzie Hudock hit a layup with 35 seconds left to close the deficit to 39-23 at the half.
• An Anna Mondoro (Dumfries, Va./Homeschool) 3-pointer and Ellie Connelly (Sharpsburg, Md./Boonsboro) three-point play stretched the lead to 22 before a Conroy layup capped an 8-0 start to the third quarter. Washington scored the final five points of the period to close the deficit to 53-36 after 30 minutes.
• Four straight Cassidy Quattro free throws closed the margin to 55-42 with 7:32 to play but a Storer jumper and Mehl four-point play stretched the lead back to 19 nearly four minutes later. The lead swelled to as large as 23 en route to the 20-point victory.
THE INSIDE STORY
• The 13 points for Meggie Burgess was a career high.
McDaniel concludes the season at home against Swarthmore on Saturday. Game time is 1 p.m.