Swarthmore (13-12, 10-10 CC) 50, McDaniel (10-15, 6-14 CC) 45
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Saturday, Feb. 22
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Swarthmore scored five points in the final 41 seconds to break a 45-all deadlock and top McDaniel, 50-45.
FOR THE FOES
• Elizabeth Stiles led four players in double figures for the Garnet with 14 points.
• Christina Holmgren added 11 points and eight rebounds.
• Kendall Tribus and Kim Kockenmeister had 10 points each.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• The game started with uncontested layups from Elizabeth Stiles and senior Sara Pilkey (Fawn Grove, Pa./Kennard Dale), who got the start despite injury and able to score a layup in her final game. A Kim Kockenmeister layup with 8:50 remaining was the only other field goal of the game until Ellie Connelly (Sharpsburg, Md./Boonsboro) hit a layup with 4:06 of the clock to cut the deficit to 6-5. Swarthmore built a 9-5 advantage on an Abigail Pirron jumper with 3:10 to play but Natalie Mehl canned a triple and Liv Storer (Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia/Galen Catholic College) hit a jumper in the final 2:11 of the quarter for a 10-9 edge.
• A Kockenmeister steal-and-layup gave the visitors an 11-10 edge 50 seconds into the second quarter. The teams traded points before a Meggie Burgess (Olney, Md./Good Counsel) three-point play put McDaniel up 16-13 with 4:12 to play. The Garnet, however, tallied the final nine points of the half for a 22-16 advantage at the break.
• The run extended to 15-0 through the first 2:07 of the second half, building a 12-point advantage after Kendall Tribus and Perron each drained triples. A Natalie Mehl 3-pointer with 3:59 to play trimmed the margin to 32-25 but Stiles responded with a jumper. The Green Terror, though, tallied the next seven to cut the deficit to 34-32 before a Holmgren layup in the final 45 seconds of the period stretched the advantage back to four at the end of the quarter.
• Trailing 45-40 on a Tribus jumper with 3:50 to play, Mehl hit 3-pointer 51 seconds left to cut the deficit to two. A Mallory Conroy driving layup with 45.5 seconds left tied the game. Out of the ensuing Garnet timeout, Holmgren finished a layup of her to put Swarthmore back in front. The defense forced McDaniel into a late shot attempt before Stiles went 1-for-2 from the line and Kockenmeister hit both of her attempts from the charity stripe to seal the win.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Swarthmore wrapped up the fifth seed in the CC tournament with the victory.
• Liv Storer had four points, four rebounds, three assists, two steals and a block in her final collegiate game.