Washington & Jefferson (3-1) 23, McDaniel (5-4) 22
What: Non-Conference wrestling match
When: Wednesday, Jan. 8
Where: Waynesburg, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
Washington & Jefferson opened up an early 12-0 lead and held on to top McDaniel 23-22 in the first of a tri-match at Waynesburg.
• Ryker Eckenbarger (Finksburg, Md./Westminster) led the Green Terror with a 2-minute, 49-second pin at 141.
FOR THE FOES
• Manny Dovshek recorded the lone pin for the Presidents, winning in 4:38 at 125.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• After Jake Walker took a forfeit at heavyweight to start the day, Manny Dovshek recorded his pin midway through the second period for a 12-0.
• Steven Pabon (Long Branch, N.J./Long Branch) posted a 17-0 technical fall midway through the second period before Ryker Eckenbarger ended his match with a first-period fall to pull McDaniel within 12-11.
• Mike Heinl notched a 3-1 win at 149 to push the lead to 15-11.
• Alexander LaVeck (Marriottsville, Md./McDonough) posted the Green Terror's third match termination win of the night with a 2-minute, 56-second technical fall at 157 with his 17-0 victory to edge his team in front, 16-15.
• Jared Walker and Hunter Neely, however, put together back-to-back major decision wins at 165 and 174, respectively. Walker won 16-7 while Neely posted a 14-5 victory to make it 23-16.
• Gabe Dennis (Snow Hill, Md./Snow Hill) notched a 7-4 victory at 184 to close the margin to 23-19.
• Tony Wuest (Smyrna, Del./Smyrna) capped the match with a 3-0 win to set the final margin.
THE INSIDE STORY
HWT: Jake Walker (W) won by forfeit; 125: Manny Dovshek (W) pinned Nick Malinowski 4:38; 133: Steven Pabon (M) tech. fell AD Nelson 17-0 (4:39); 141: Ryker Eckenbarger (M) pinned Vinnie Catania 2:49; 149: Mike Heinl (W) dec. Raymond Kable 3-1; 157: Alexander LaVeck (M) tech. fell Zach Schrott 17-0 (2:56); 165: Jared Walker (W) maj. dec. Garrett Vandervalk 16-7; 174: Hunter Neely (W) maj. dec. Michael Bromley 14-5; 184: Gabe Dennis dec. Jaden Datz 7-4; 197: Tony Wuest (Mc) dec. Alex Donahue 3-0.
McDaniel concludes the evening against Waynesburg.