No. 20 NYU (5-4) 39, McDaniel (5-6) 12
What: Non-Conference wrestling match
When: Saturday, Jan. 18
Where: Williamsport, Pa. – Mid-Winter Classic
THE SKINNY STORY
New York University, ranked 20th in the latest NWCA Div. III poll, won five straight bouts to help capture a 39-12 win over McDaniel in the opening round of the Mid-Winter Classic at Liberty Arena in Williamsport.
• Ryker Eckenbarger (Finksburg, Md./Westminster) led the Green Terror with a 5-minute, 26-second pin at 141.
FOR THE FOES
• Sean Lyons keyed the run of five straight wins for the Violets with a 4-minute, 15-second fall at 157.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Jonathan Keitz staked NYU to an early 6-0 lead with a pin in 4:11 before a Dylan Kull 19-1 technical fall stretched the advantage to 11-0.
• Ryker Eckenbarger's third-period fall cut the deficit to 11-6.
• Donald Albach, however, started the run of five consecutive victories to secure the victory, using an 11-4 win at 149.
• After Sean Lyons' fall, Cole Karem added a 16-0 technical fall at 165.
• Izaake Zuckerman won 4-0 at 174 and Luke Brantly capped the run with a 16-1 technical fall at 184.
• Tony Wuest (Smyrna, Del./Smyrna) and William Ortman traded forfeit wins at the end for the final score.
THE INSIDE STORY
125: Jonathan Keltz (N) pinned Nick Malinowski 4:11; 133: Dylan Kull (N) tech. fell Steven Pabon 19-1; 141: Ryker Eckenbarger (M) pinned Jason Geyer 5:26; 149: Donald Albach (N) dec. Raymond Kable 11-4; 157: Sean Lyons (N) pinned Alexander LaVeck 4:15; 165: Cole Karam (N) tech. fell Cole Nagle 16-0; 174: Izaake Zuckerman (N) dec. Michael Bromley 4-0; 184: Luke Brantly (N) tech. fell Gabe Dennis 16-1; 197: Tony Wuest (M) won by forfeit; HWT: William Ortman (N) won by forfeit.
McDaniel returns to action against Penn College in the second round.