McDaniel (9-6, 1-0 CC) 25, Johns Hopkins (5-6, 1-1 CC) 24
What: Centennial Conference (CC) wrestling match
When: Wednesday, Jan. 22
Where: Baltimore, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel opened up a 19-6 lead midway through the match before a late forfeit win secured a 25-24 win over Johns Hopkins in the Centennial Conference (CC) opener.
FOR THE FOES
• Brent Lorin led the Blue Jays with a first-period pin at 125.
• Dominick Reyes (165) and Nathan Wertheimer (184) also recorded
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Brent Lorin staked Johns Hopkins to a 6-0 lead with a 1-minute, 23-second fall at 125.
• Steven Pabon (Long Branch, N.J./Long Branch) recorded a major decision at 133, winning 13-5 to close the margin to 6-4.
• Isaiah Fosque followed up with a first-period pin for a 10-6 lead in the match.
• Ryker Eckenbarger (Finksburg, Md./Westminster) added an 8-3 win at 149 before an Alexander LaVeck first-period pin made it 19-6.
• Dominick Reyer responded with a 1-minute, 42-second pin and Joe Paul added a 7-6 win at 174 to close the deficit to 19-15.
• Nathan Wertheimer's 1-minute, 18-second pin gave Johns Hopkins a 21-19 edge before Grant Walnoha added a 7-1 victory at 197 to stretch the lead to 24-19.
• Tony Wuest (Smyrna, Del./Smyrna), however, had a forfeit win waiting for him at heavyweight to give his team the one-point win.
THE INSIDE STORY
125: Brent Lorin (J) pinned Nick Malinowski 1:23; 133: Steven Pabon (M) maj. dec. Jeremy Berger 13-5; 141: Isaiah Fosque (M) pinned Hanting Wong 2:25; 149: Ryker Eckenbarger (M) dec. Jack Albin 8-3; 157: Alexander LaVeck (M) pinned Bradlee Lamontagne 1:27; 165: Dominick Reyes (J) pinned Cole Nagle 1:42; 174: Joe Paul (J) dec. Michael Bromley 7-6; 184: Nathan Wertheimer (J) pinned Gabe Dennis 1:18; 197: Grant Walnoha (J) dec. Nick Parsons 7-1; HWT: Tony Wuest (M) won by forfeit.
McDaniel returns to action in a CC quad at Gettysburg against Muhlenberg and Washington and Lee on Saturday. Action begins at 12 p.m.