McDaniel (5-4) 3, Goucher (3-3) 1
What: Non-conference volleyball match
When: Thursday, Sept. 12
Where: Towson, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel hit .256 on the night to help sweep three close sets and top Goucher, 3-0.
• Marlowe Embry (San Jose, Calif./J.H. Pitman) led the Green Terror with her second straight double-double, recording 11 kills and 10 digs.
• Emma Lorenzen (Hagerstown, Md./South Hagerstown) added 11 kills, five digs, three blocks and hit .360 in the match.
• Kendall Hanak (Highlands Ranch, Colo./Cheyenne Mountain) steadied the defense with 16 digs.
• Gayle Edelstein (Livingston, N.J./Livingston) chipped in 35 assists, four kills, six digs and two blocks.
FOR THE FOES
• Emily Sorrells led the Gophers with 12 kills.
• Cat Hartley added 21 digs.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Two Anna Jezerski (Ellicott City, Md./Howard) aces keyed a 5-0 run that opened up a 7-3 lead in the first set. Goucher rallied to tie the set at 20-all on a Bianca Brown ace before a Makayla Patterson (Colorado Springs, Colo./Rock Canyon) kill, Gopher error and consecutive Marlowe Embry kills made it a 24-20 lead. Patterson and Jezerski capped a 25-22 win with a block.
• Goucher jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the second set but back-to-back Isabel Paci (Ellicott City, Md./River Hill) kills closed the deficit to 4-3. The Gophers extended the lead to 22-17 and held a 24-21 advantage on a Kaya Melchor kill but a service error, Emma Lorenzen kill and Goucher error tied the score. The teams traded points until Lorenzen put an end to it with a kill and ace for a 30-28 win.
• The third set featured eight ties but McDaniel would not lead until kills from Lorenzen and Embry tied the score at 20-all and Alena Villanueva (Gaithersburg, Md./Magruder) recorded an ace for a 21-20 edge. After Emily Sorrells and Lorenzen traded points, Paci knocked down another kill and Embry had her lone ace of the match before a Paci and Lorenzen block capped the 25-21 win.
McDaniel returns to action at home against York (Pa.) and Catholic on Saturday. The first match begins at 11 a.m.