McDaniel (8-6, 2-0 CC) 3, Gettysburg (8-7, 1-1 CC)
What: Centennial Conference (CC) volleyball match
When: Wednesday, Sept. 21
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel rallied in the fourth set for a 25-22 to cap a 3-1 victory over Gettysburg.
• Gayle Edelstein (Livingston, N.J./Livingston) led the Green Terror with 47 assists, seven kills, seven digs and a block.
• Anna Jezerski (Ellicott City, Md./Howard) added her second straight double-double with 12 kills and 10 digs. She also had three blocks.
• Isabel Paci (Gaithersburg, Md./Richard Montgomery) added 14 kills to lead the attack.
• Marlowe Embry (San Jose, Calif./J.H. Pitman) chipped in a double-double of her own with 11 kills and 16 digs.
• Kendall Hanak (Highlands Ranch, Colo./Rock Canyon) steadied the defense with 23 digs.
FOR THE FOES
• Ingrid Bayer led the Bullets with 10 kills and three blocks.
• Caroline Sequeira steadied the defense with 30 digs.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Keyed by a Kendall Hanak ace, McDaniel raced out to a 4-0 lead in the first set. The Green Terror stretched the lead to 11-4 to force a Gettysburg timeout. Kasey Higgins capped a run of four straight points to draw the Bullets back to within 17-11 but McDaniel used an Isabel Paci ace to cap a 25-18 win.
• The second set featured 10 ties and four lead changes. Trailing 7-4, the Green Terror put together a run of five straight points to take a 9-7 lead but a 9-5 counter put the Bullets in front 16-14 and forced a Green Terror timeout. The teams virtually traded the points the rest of the way before Gettysburg prevailed 25-22 to tie the match at 1-all.
• After an early back-and-forth in the third set, back-to-back Paci kills gave McDaniel an 8-5 advantage. Gettysburg eventually knotted the set at 15-all but a service error, Makayla Patterson (Colorado Springs, Colo./Cheyenne Mountain) block and Emma Lorenzen (Hagerstown, Md./South Hagerstown) kill put the hosts back in front, 18-15. Two straight Marlowe Embry kills made it a 23-17 lead en route to a 25-19 victory.
• Gettysburg opened up an early 5-2 lead in the fourth set and led 12-8 before the Green Terror tallied six of the next eight points to tie the set at 14-all. Trailing 21-19, kills from Paci, Edelstein and Lorenzen coupled with a service ace tied the proceedings at 22-all. Kills from Edelstein and Jezerski capped the 25-22 win.
THE INSIDE STORY
• The 73 digs for the Green Terror was a season high for a non-five-set match.
McDaniel returns to action at home against Swarthmore on Saturday. Match time is 1 p.m.