McDaniel (1-1) 3, Neumann (0-2) 2
What: Non-conference volleyball match
When: Saturday, Sept. 4
Where: Salisbury, Md. – Sea Gull Classic
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel scored the 10 of the final 12 points in the fifth and deciding set to cap a 3-2 victory over Neumann with a 15-6 win.
• Anna Jezerski (Ellicott City, Md./Howard) led the way with 25 kills and hit .447 in the match.
• Kathy Taveras (Columbia, Md./Howard) paced the defense with 12 digs.
• Allyson Burgee (Fairfax, Va./Robinson Secondary School) added five aces and three total blocks.
FOR THE FOES
• Bre Hickey led the Knights with 12 kills and 18 digs.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Trailing 23-20 in the first set, a service error and back-to-back Regan Hickey kills evened the score at 23-all. An attack error and Ariana Pena kill capped a 25-23 win for Neumann.
• An Anna Jezerski kill gave McDaniel a 20-19 lead in the second set. She then combined with Allyson Burgee for a pair of blocks and added another kill to cap a 25-19 victory.
• A Maddy Bigley (Pueblo, Colo./Centennial Pueblo) kill and two more from Jezerski broke a 22-all deadlock in the third set, leading to a 25-22 win.
• Tied at 13-all in the fourth set, the Knights reeled off eight of the next 10 points – a stretch that included four aces – to open up a 21-15 lead en route to a 25-20 victory.
• Clinging to a 5-4 edge in the final set, Angalyn Strouse (Spring Grove, Pa./Spring Grove) knocked down a kill and Jezerski tacked on three more around a Tatiana Hamilton (Laurel, Md./Reservoir) ace to key the match-clinching finish.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Anna Jezerski's 25 kills were a career high for the senior.
• There were 38 ties and 18 lead changes in the five-set match. Neither team led by more than five points until McDaniel's 10-4 lead in the final set.
• Tatiana Hamilton had four aces.
McDaniel concludes the classic against Eastern.