Lancaster Bible (3-1) 3, McDaniel (1-2) 1
What: Non-conference volleyball match
When: Thursday, Sept. 9
Where: Lancaster, Pa.
THE SKINNY STORY
Lancaster Bible and McDaniel combined for 195 digs and 13 total blocks in a closely-decided four-set affair. The Chargers took two-set wins in the first and fourth sets to capture the 3-1 victory.
• Kathy Taveras (Columbia, Md./Howard) was one of five total players with 20-plus digs, establishing a career best with 21 for the Green Terror.
• Anna Jezerski (Ellicott City, Md./Howard) recorded 22 kills to go with a match-high 28 digs. She also added three blocks and three aces.
FOR THE FOES
• Cassidy King led the Chargers with 17 kills and 21 digs. She also had three aces and five blocks.
• Kate Stolzfus and Suzanna Rouse also chipped in 21 digs each.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Lancaster Bible jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the opening set before McDaniel gradually worked its way back into the set, tying the score at 12-all on an Anna Jezerski kill, which was in the middle of a 4-0 Green Terror run. Tied at 16-all, a Cassidy King ace gave the hosts the lead for good. She also put the capper on the 25-23 win with a kill.
• Neither team led by more than three in the second set until a late McDaniel run. Back-to-back Jezerski knockdowns followed with a Jezerski-Angalyn Strouse (Spring Grove, Pa./Spring Grove) block forced a Lancaster Bible timeout, trailing 20-18. Jezerski came out of the stoppage with two more knockdowns to stretch the advantage to 22-18 en route to a 25-20 win.
• The third set was much of the same with neither team being able to take control until back-to-back King aces and a Green Terror error gave the Chargers a 20-14 lead. McDaniel pulled back to within 23-21 but two King kills helped close out a 25-22 win.
• The fourth set featured 15 ties and neither team ahead by more than two at any point in the final set. A Jezerski kill gave the Green Terror a 25-24 edge but a service error tied the set once again. A King-Morgan Fenstermacher block gave the Chargers match point, when they forced another error to finish the match with a 27-25 win.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Kathy Taveras and Anna Jezerski each posted career highs in digs.
• It was the first 20-kill, 20-dig performance of Jezerski's career.
• Nia Roberts (Walkersville, Md./Frederick), who was named to the all-tournament team after the Salisbury Sea Gull Classic over the weekend, reached double-digit digs for the first time with 14 in the match.
• Angalyn Strouse finished with four blocks.
• Brenna Campbell (Clarion, Pa./Clarion Area) contributed 34 assists.
• The entirety of the match featured 33 total ties and 18 lead changes.
McDaniel returns to action at St. Mary's (Md.) on Saturday. Match time is 12:30 p.m.