McDaniel (2-3) 3, St. Mary's (Md.) (2-3) 2
What: Non-conference volleyball match
When: Saturday, Sept. 11
Where: St. Mary's City, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
McDaniel used a late run in the deciding set to secure a 15-11 win that led to a 3-2 victory at St. Mary's (Md.).
• Anna Jezerski (Ellicott City, Md./Howard) recorded 22 kills, 19 digs and five aces to lead the Green Terror.
• Nia Roberts (Walkersville, Md./Frederick) added 13 kills, three aces, and two blocks.
• Brenna Campbell (Clarion, Pa./Clarion Area) established a career best with 49 assists. She also had 10 digs.
FOR THE FOES
• Taylor Wigglesworth led the Seahawks with 13 kills.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Tied at 12-all in the first set, back-to-back Taylor Wigglesworth kills after an error opened up a 15-12 lead for St. Mary's. An Anna Jezerski kill got McDaniel within 22-20 but the Seahawks scored three of the final four points for a 25-21 win.
• A Tatiana Hamilton (Laurel, Md./Reservoir) ace capped an early 4-1 start to the second set and the Green Terror didn't trail the rest of the set for a 25-15 win. An 8-1 run during the set helped the visitors open up a 10-point lead at 21-11.
• McDaniel also opened up an early lead in the third set before two of Roberts' aces keyed a late 4-0 run to open up a 22-15 lead en route to a 25-21 victory.
• After a back-and-forth start to the fourth set, Fatima Bouzid broke an 8-all deadlock and keyed an 8-0 run for a. 15-8 lead en route to a 25-18 win that forced the deciding set.
• The fifth set featured six early ties. A Jezerski kill knotted the set for the final time at 9-all before an error, second Jezerski kill and Hamilton ace stretched the lead to 12-9. St. Mary's closed to within 13-11 but a Jezerski kill and ace capped the victory.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Anna Jezerski recorded 20-plus kills for the second straight match and just missed her second straight 20/20 game.
• Regan Gefroh (Fort Collins, Colo./Fort Collins) added 13 digs and three aces.
• Kathy Taveras (Columbia, Md./Howard) rounded out the quartet with double-digit digs with 12.
McDaniel returns to action at Mary Washington on Tuesday. Match time is 6 p.m.