Haverford (7-6, 3-3 CC) 51, McDaniel (4-6, 0-5 CC) 43
What: Centennial Conference (CC) men's basketball game
When: Tuesday, Jan. 11
Where: Westminster, Md.
Haverford used a late run in the second half to secure a defensive battle and 51-43 win at McDaniel.
FOR THE FOES
• Harry Johnson paced the Fords with 13 points and seven rebounds.
• Nate Torres chipped in 10 points.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• The teams traded points over the first seven minutes of the contest before baskets from Gabriel Franklin and Harry Johnson more than two minutes apart opened up a 10-6 edge for Haverford with 10:42 on the clock. Mike Wallace hit a triple with 9:50 showing to close the deficit to 12-11 before Charles Contee converted off a Wallace steal-and-pass for a 13-12 edge. The Green Terror pushed the lead to 20-14 on a Wallace layup with 3:59 to play. A Johnson triple with 2:55 remaining and a Kaelen Kanealey (Rochester, N.Y./Irondequoit) layup with 1:50 showing made it a 22-17 game at the break.
• Haverford netted the first seven points of the second half to take a 24-22 edge on a Johnson layup with 18:03 on the clock. Three of the Fords' five second-half 3-pointers came in a 55-second span that pushed the lead to 33-25 with 14:09 to play and forced a McDaniel timeout. Triples from Dragan Hornatko (Baltimore, Md./Glenelg Country Day School) and Contee closed the margin to two. The Green Terror twice got to within one but a 12-3 run over a four-minute stretch turned a one-point game into a 45-37 lead with 4:12 to play. Four straight points from Wallace closed the deficit to four but that's as close as the hosts would get the rest of the way.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Josh Sproul (Princess Anne, Md./Washington Academy) led the Green Terror on the glass with six boards – part of a 37-34 edge for McDaniel.
McDaniel returns to action at No. 12 Johns Hopkins on Thursday. Game time is 8 p.m.