Haverford (8-5, 5-4 CC) 59, McDaniel (3-8, 1-5 CC) 46
What: Centennial Conference (CC) women's basketball game
When: Tuesday, Jan. 11
Where: Westminster, Md.
Haverford held McDaniel scoreless for a more than four minutes late in the fourth quarter to pull away late and secure a 59-46 road win.
• Mallory Conroy (Ellicott City, Md./Marriotts Ridge) led the Green Terror with 14 points, three rebounds, two assists, and two steals.
• Katie Klein (Port Charlotte, Fla./Imagine School at North Port) added 14 points of her own to go with a pair of rebounds.
FOR THE FOES
• Ally Landau led the Fords with 21 points, six rebounds, and six assists.
• Kayla Robinson led all players with 11 rebounds.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• A single Ellie Connelly (Sharpsburg, Md./Boonsboro) free throw and Mallory Conroy layup staked McDaniel to a 3-0 lead 2:45 into the game. Haverford, however, countered with eight straight on baskets from three different players to take an 8-3 edge with 3:53 to play in the opening period. A pair of Caroline Andersen layups in the final 90 seconds opened up a 15-7 lead after one quarter.
• Five points from Conroy keyed a 7-0 start to the second quarter that closed the deficit to one just 1:56 into the period. The Fords countered with six in a row over the next 2:26 before a back-and-forth final 5:36 of the half that ended with a 25-20 Haverford advantage.
• The Fords scored the first six points of the third quarter to open up their first double-digit lead. The advantage stretched as large as 40-26 before McDaniel scored seven points in the final 51 seconds to close to within 40-33 after three quarters.
• Conroy hit a layup on the opening possession of the fourth quarter to make it a five-point game before Haverford pushed the lead back to 10. Katie Klein twice again trimmed the deficit to five, including at 49-44 with 5:47 to play but the Fords held the Green Terror off the scoreboard for the next 4:18 while stretching the lead back out to 13. Six of Haverford's points in the game-clinching run came from the free-throw line.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Haverford went 12-for-19 from the free-throw line while McDaniel was just 7 of 12.
• The Fords finished with a 35-25 advantage in rebounding.
• Meggie Burgess (Olney, Md./Good Counsel) added eight points and six rebounds.
• Josey Klingenberg (Hampstead, Md./Manchester Valley) chipped in eight assists and three steals.
McDaniel returns to action at Johns Hopkins on Thursday. Game time is 6 p.m.