Eastern (4-0) 3, McDaniel (1-2) 0
What: Non-conference volleyball match
When: Saturday, Sept. 4
Where: Salisbury, Md. – Sea Gull Classic
THE SKINNY STORY
Eastern used the momentum of a 33-31 second-set win to sweep McDaniel 3-0 in the finale of the Salisbury Sea Gull Classic.
• Brenna Campbell (Clarion, Pa./Clarion Area) led the Green Terror with 24 assists.
• Anna Jezerski (Ellicott City, Md./Howard) recorded her first double-double of the year with 10 kills and 10 digs.
• Kathy Taveras (Columbia, Md./Howard) steadied the defense with 12 digs.
• Nia Roberts (Walkersville, Md./Frederick) added eight kills, four aces, and four blocks.
FOR THE FOES
• Logan Martin led a balanced attack for the Eagles with eight kills.
• Elle Jiron-Bujanda added eight aces and six digs.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• Back-to-back Grace Casagrande aces helped Eastern jump out to a 14-7 lead in the first set. The teams traded runs after that before the Eagles prevailed, 25-17.
• The second set featured 13 ties and seven lead changes. Back-to-back Elle Jiron-Bujanda aces helped give Eastern an early 9-4 lead but a Tatiana Hamilton (Laurel, Md./Reservoir) ace capped a 7-0 McDaniel run for a 13-11 edge. Three straight Bridgette Kelly aces were part of a 7-0 Eagle run that gave them a 22-17 lead but two Nia Roberts aces helped closed the margin to 23-22. Each team had its chances to serve for the win down the stretch but, ultimately, Eastern prevailed.
• Jiron-Bujanda had four straight aces early in the third set to open up a 9-2 lead en route to the 25-19 win.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Eastern had 18 aces as a team.
McDaniel returns to action at Lancaster Bible on Thursday. Match time is 7 p.m.