Misericordia (3-8) 3, McDaniel (4-5) 1
What: Non-conference volleyball match
When: Saturday, Sept. 18
Where: Westminster, Md.
THE SKINNY STORY
Misericordia took close wins in the first two sets before rebounding off a third-set loss to top McDaniel 3-1 in the final match of a trimatch.
• Anna Jezerski (Ellicott City, Md./Howard) wrapped up a big weekend for the Green Terror with 24 kills and hit .488 in the match. She also had seven digs.
• Angalyn Strouse (Spring Grove, Pa./Spring Grove) chipped in a season-best 10 kills.
• Brenna Campbell (Clarion, Pa./Clarion Area) added 42 assists and 11 digs.
FOR THE FOES
• Faith Merritt led the Cougars attack with 11 kills to go with four aces and five digs.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• McDaniel got out to a 12-6 lead in the first set before Misericordia countered with a 12-4 run that Faith Merritt capped with a pair of aces for an 18-16 edge. The Green Terror twice got it back to one but Jessica Cleveland capped a 25-21 win with an ace of her own.
• The second set featured 12 ties and five lead changes and neither team leading by more than three at any point in the set. Tied at 23-all on an Anna Jezerski kill, Merritt knocked down a kill then aced the set-winner.
• Another nine ties and eight lead changes in the third set kept that one close as well. Tied at 9-all, Regan Gefroh (Fort Collins, Colo./Fort Collins) knocked down an ace then Angalyn Strouse had a kill for a two-point lead. McDaniel pushed the lead as large as 17-13 with another Strouse kill. Misericordia drew back even at 19-all but three Jezerski kills keyed a 6-1 finish for a 25-20 win.
• Five straight Cougar points turned a 7-5 fourth-set deficit into a 10-7 lead. McDaniel got back to within 17-16 but Misericordia tallied eight of the final 11 points to wrap it up, 25-19.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Allyson Burgee (Fairfax, Va./Robinson Secondary School) chipped in seven kills and four blocks for McDaniel.
The Green Terror returns to action at home against Susquehanna on Wednesday. Match time is 7:30 p.m.