Swarthmore (7-5, 3-1 CC) 3, McDaniel (4-12, 1-4 CC) 2
What: Centennial Conference (CC) volleyball match
When: Saturday, Oct. 9
Where: Westminster, Md.
In a tightly contested match that featured three sets decided by just two points, Swarthmore eventually prevailed 15-10 in the deciding set for a 3-2 win over McDaniel. The Green Terror took the opening set 25-23 before the Garnet responded with a 25-14 victory. The teams traded 25-23 wins with Swarthmore taking the third and McDaniel forcing the fifth and deciding.
• Anna Jezerski (Ellicott City, Md./Howard) led the Green Terror with 20 kills and 14 digs while also adding two aces and two blocks.
• Brenna Campbell (Clarion, Pa./Clarion Area) chipped in 45 assists to the attack to go with eight digs and three aces.
• Tatiana Hamilton (Laurel, Md./ Reservoir) added three aces.
FOR THE FOES
• Kaylee Zhang recorded led the Garnet with 16 kills and 12 digs.
• Dani Pena finished with 41 assists.
THE REST OF THE STORY
• The first set started off evenly with the score tied at 7-all. The Green Terror then went on a seven-point run to take a 16-9 lead. Swarthmore battled back to tie it at 23-all, but Tatiana Hamilton closed the set with two of her aces.
• The Garnet came out hot in the second set jumping out to a 14-7 lead and never looked back to draw the match even.
• The third set featured big swings by both teams. Swarthmore took an early 12-6 lead. McDaniel responded with a run of its own, tying the match at 14-all. Grace Hegland had back-to-back kills to push the Garnet lead to five, but a serving run by Hamilton pulled the Green Terror even at 23-all. The Garnet closed out the set for the 25-23 victory.
• The fourth set featured eight ties. Anna Jezerski led the Green Terror with six kills, including the final point to force the fifth set.
• Swarthmore jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the final set. McDaniel responded with a run of its own to tie it at 5-all. The tight battle continued with the score tied at 10-all. Kaylee Zhang closed out the set, serving the final five points.
THE INSIDE STORY
• Angalyn Strouse (Spring Grove, Pa./Spring Grove) finished with a career-high 12 kills and two aces.
• Allyson Burgee (Fairfax, Va./Robinson Secondary School) tallied seven kills and two blocks.
• Maddy Bigley (Pueblo, Colo./Pueblo Centennial) added a career-best 13 kills.
The Green Terror returns to action at No. 1 Johns Hopkins on Wednesday. Match time is 7 p.m.